DIY Turn Your Sweaters Into a Scarf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

This Michigan weather seems to only be getting cooler, and with that the wool socks, knit sweaters, and chunky infinite scarves are making it’s way out. Everyone seems to have sweaters that are stretched out or shrunken beyond repair. So what’s a girl to do? Start putting those old, dingy sweaters to use again—with a makeover first! Learn how to turn your sweaters into a cute and cozy infinity scarf. For those of you that don’t know how to sew, no worries, this is a no-sew, DIY project.

Materials:

-sweaters

-a glue gun

-cardstock

-fabric scissors

-and painters/masking tape

Cut the cardstock into an 8 1/2 x 11 rectangle. This will be used as a template so that the pieces in the scarf will be the same size.

Place tape on the corners of the cardstock so that the template will not move around while you are cutting your materiel. Try to keep them in place.

With the rectangles cut, we are ready to put it all together. After you have your pieces cut, lay the fabric side by side. Hot glue them to gather with a strip of glue on the connecting sides. Press and hold the glued edges together for five seconds to make sure that the seam is tight and this scarf will be as functional as it is fabulous.

After all of the pieces are connected trim any side pieces that don’t line up with one another. It can either be left like this or made into an infinity scarf by connecting the two loose ends in the same way that the rest of the scarf was connected. Voila! Its as easy as that to get a scarf without spending a dime.

The finished product:

Marissa Russo is a senior at Michigan State University studying  journalism with a concentration in apparel and textile design. Her love for writing coincides with her love for design, and after graduation she hopes to work at a publication that allows her to do both. Marissa is a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus MSU. Follow her on Instagram: marissrusso and Twitter: @marissrusso