DIY Diaries: Warm Weather Wrap Around Headband

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Everyone has seen the adorable wrap around headbands, in magazines, on campus and even on your roommates head.  They’re adorable and keep your head warm and I don’t know a girl who doesn’t want one.  The only problem is if you don’t want to shell out $15-20 dollars for the adorable headwear you are in a position where you might need to knit your own.  Luckily we have a new way to make these headbands that does not require any knitting, and only a small amount of fabric.  So when you get back from spring break and the weather is anything but warm and sunny, you’ll be able to keep your ears warm. 

[pagebreak]

What you will need for this project is fabric, fleece or knits are good.  Get super crafty and recycle an old sweater, one button, scissors, a ruler, a white crayon/chalk, a sewing machine (optional).

[pagebreak]

Take the fabric of your choice and measure out 5×24 inches.  Cut out an even rectangle from these measurements.

[pagebreak]

Once you have the rectangle separated from the fabric cut an angle off the edges.

[pagebreak]

Now that you have the basic part of the ear warmers use the white crayon and mark on the ends where you want your button, and buttonhole to go.  I used an X to mark where I could put my button and a square for the buttonhole.  To measure where I would put them, I wrapped the fabric around my head and marked where it felt right.

[pagebreak]

This part is optional but highly suggested.  Take your sewing machine and sew around the buttonhole.  This keeps your fabric form ripping later.  Many machines have settings to sew this for us, or you can do it by hand.

[pagebreak]

Since I had the machine out I went ahead and ran a simple stitch around the outside.  It isn’t necessary but it does make the ear warmers look more complete.

[pagebreak]

This next step is simple: just sew a button on.  It seems like a silly thing but make sure your button fits into the buttonhole.

[pagebreak]

I felt as though the finished product looked bare.  To remedy this I made a simple flower that I would sew to the top.  I had left over fabric so I cut three jagged circles in three different sizes.  Then I laid them on top of each other, biggest circle on bottom and so on.  To keep them in place I did a single stitch through the center of the flower and sewed it onto the ear warmer.  You may find that you prefer making more distinct petals on your fabric flowers.

Once you get the flowered fastened on you have your competed project!

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!