Decorate Your Dorm Room for the Holidays: On a Budget!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Every year around this time, signs of the holidays become inescapable, images of holly and sparkling lights abound.  As each day passes you get more and more excited for the coming holidays, but you can’t prepare quite like you would at home.  I might be wrong, but I don’t think your R.A. would appreciate it if you carried a 6-foot tall evergreen down the hall and into your dorm room.  While you can’t decorate your new room exactly like you would at home, you can sure try with these clever tips!  Bringing a little bit of that holiday cheer into your dorm room or apartment can really brighten up those long days of studying for exams and counting down the hours until winter break.  Keep reading for some budget friendly tips that will conjure up visions of sugarplums dancing in no time!

1. Make Paper Snowflakes

Photo: marthastewart.com

Take a trip back to the third grade, grab a sheet of white paper and a pair of scissors, and cut out some paper snowflakes! This childhood staple is super simple to make and requires very few resources.  If you need a refresher course, head over to Martha Stewart’s website for a tutorial on how to make the perfect paper snowflake.  You can tape them to the wall, or, if you’re feeling extra crafty, find something to string them up on and hang them in front of a window or off of your bed.

[pagebreak]

2. Put Together a Collage

Photo: Oozingink wordpress 

Make use of all of those holiday magazine issues and newspaper advertisements. Cut out your favorite images and sayings and create a holiday collage.  You could add clippings of gifts on your wish list, delicious-looking photos of your favorite holiday dish, or maybe even this photo of Ryan Gosling. Okay, definitely this photo of Ryan Gosling.  

[pagebreak]

3. Wrap up Your Door

Photo: Party America

Wow your floor mates with a prize-worthy door. All you need for this project is a long piece of ribbon and/or a roll of wrapping paper.  Thankfully, Meijer sells both for less than three dollars each. Wrap the ribbon and paper around your door just like you would a present (you may want to ask a roommate for help on this one!), then finish it off with a big red bow.  You’ll instantly get into the holiday mood whenever you walk into your room! 

[pagebreak]

4. Keep a Running Winter Break Countdown

Photo: DIY Natural 

Turn the dry erase board that hangs on your door into a calendar.  Use festive-colored markers to keep track of the days left until winter break.  If you don’t happen to have a dry erase board, have no fear, the paper chain is here.  Cut strips of paper and link them together, making one for each day leading up to break.  Remove one link each day and watch the chain shorten as you get closer and closer to freedom.

[pagebreak]

5.  Get Thrifty 

Photo: Pinterest 

Head over to the Dollar Castle in Frandor shopping center and spend a few dollars on plastic toys.  When spray-painted with glitter paint, these small toys are transformed into sparkly new ornaments.  Treat your windowsill like a mantle and display your crafty DIY skills.  Friends will surely be impressed.  

[pagebreak]

6.  Unleash Your Inner Typographer 

Photo: Mary Kay Knight 

For a vintage-holiday feel, grab a newspaper from your building’s lobby and, after reading it, of course, cut out some holiday words to tape to your walls. Peace, Noel, and Joy come to mind.  The newspaper will look classically chic and the text will bring an air of cheer to the room, reminding you of what the holidays are truly about. 

[pagebreak]

7.  Experiment With Tape- Art 

Photo: Christy Kurtz for Refinery29

Channel your inner craft-goddess and take your creativity to a whole new level by using tape art to spice up your blank white walls.  The only materials you need for this project are a roll of opaque tape and a ruler.  Since you won’t be able to get that authentic pine scent in your room, why not use some green duct tape to create a makeshift Christmas tree.  Use the ruler to make sure everything is symmetrical, since even the slightest slant will make your tree look off kilter. 

[pagebreak]

8.  Hang Lights!

Photo: Kate Miss of For Me, For You

If all else fails, raid your parent’s basement.  You know they have an extra string of lights lying around somewhere. In a small dorm room or apartment, a single strand makes a big impact.

Writers Notes: Christmas music must be played throughout the entire decorating process. 

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!