This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Courtney Monge

Year: 2021

Major: Supply Chain Management 

Hometown: Northville, Mi

What organizations/activities are you part of and what is your position in them? 

Monge: I am a part of the Corporate Retail Association where I serve the role as President. Another organization that I am a part of is VIM. VIM is Michigan State’s only student-run fashion, lifestyle and beauty magazine. For this organization, I am the Co-Marketing Director. Lastly, I am currently a Campus Sponsored Representatives for Victoria’s Secret PINK.

What do the positions entail?

As President for Corporate Retail Association, my main role is to make sure the other positions on e-board run seamlessly. Additionally, I want to make sure the organization has a professional image and the relationships between members and companies are nourished. For my position as a Co-Marketing Director of VIM, I overwatch a team of 8 and I make sure they are working efficiently together to achieve tasks related to promoting VIM’s image on MSU’s campus. Furthermore, for my PINK Campus Representative position, I do all aspects ranging from planning virtual events for the company to connect PINK and MSU all the way to participating in wear tests for the Merchandising teams at HQ. 

How do you think you’ve impacted people across all your leadership roles?  What is your main goal as a leader?

I believe I have impacted people across all my leadership roles by being a motivating role model. My main goal is to try to teach others how to be successful and for them to also be leaders of an organization in the future. It is beneficial for me to continue to develop relationships with everyone I work with!

How do you manage to balance all of your responsibilities and what advice would you give to those who are struggling to do so?

For me, all the organizations I am a leader for, I also have others I work closely with. For example for CRA, I have my entire e-board that all helps me with  specific tasks they partake in. One aspect that I have learned a lot about is to utilize others that I work with when I need help to be a more balanced leader. The advice I would give others who are struggling to balance responsibilities is to take a step back and create a schedule that prioritizes what needs to be done right away and what other tasks that they can come back to or ask others for help on.

What is one thing you wish you could tell about your freshman self knowing what you know about networking and self-confidence now? 

I would tell my freshman self to not overstress! I used to always think I was behind as a freshman when it came to networking or getting involved at school. The main learning experience I had going through college is that it takes time to grow position-wise and with that, there will be an opportunity to network with people I work with or meet.

Alexia is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying Creative Advertsing with a minor in Public Relations. She dreams of pursuing a career within the fashion industry after her graduation in 2023.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.