This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Name: Chloe Ambas

Year: 2022

Major: Supply Chain Management

Minor: Entrepreneurship & Innovation

Hometown: Saginaw, MI

How did you choose your major?

I came to Michigan State knowing I wanted to study business. However, I didn’t know exactly what area of business. I chose Supply Chain Management for two main reasons. First, the versatility, every industry requires a supply chain — beauty, tech, hospitality & tourism, medical, etc… With Supply Chain Management, I knew I could satisfy my interests somehow! Second,  MSU has the #1 Supply Chain program in the nation, and I told myself that if I could get the grades to get accepted into the program, I’d pursue it! 

What organizations/activities are you part of and what is your position in them? 

Currently, I am the External Vice President of MSU Collegiate DECA, the Chapter Liaison for Phi Chi Theta Professional Business Fraternity, and over the past two years, I’ve accumulated three mentees through the Residential Business Community that I mentor and provide guidance to. I have been named a Broad Scholar and have conducted research for the School of Hospitality Business. Off campus, I founded @shopmichigancloset and operate it with my best friend, Britney. 

How do you think you’ve impacted people across all your leadership roles?  What is your main goal as a leader?

In Phi Chi Theta Professional Business Fraternity at MSU, I am the Chapter Liaison. During this role I serve as a liaison between the school of business, various career resources, and our members. Throughout my time I’ve shared scholarships, Fortune 500 summer leadership programs, and business competitions for our members to compete in. I’ve impacted some people by providing them with opportunities they otherwise would not have heard of. One specific example is encouraging our members to apply to Target’s Summer Sophomore Diversity Symposium. It resulted in 3 of our members getting accepted to be participants in the highly selective program as well getting internship offers for the Summer of 2021! My main goal throughout this position is to provide as many opportunities as I can to other business-minded students and to help them be successful.

How have these leadership roles helped you grow? 

Before my position in Phi Chi Theta, I was a very “do it myself” type of person; and wasn’t the type of person to recognize I might need a bit of help or guidance, let alone reach out to others for it. My position has taught me to be more resourceful of the opportunities available to us by Michigan State, the Eli Broad School of Business, alumni, and more — and provide these resources to students even before they know they need them!

What advice would you give your freshman self? 

First: Don’t be hesitant to join or participate in something, even if you have the slightest interest. And in everything that you are involved in; make sure you’re an active member and you contribute to the group in some way. This will make you memorable, make your experience more enjoyable, and can help you out if you decide to run for a position in the future!

Second: No matter how attractive, wealthy, or smart you are, in college you’re going to face rejection. It could be for a leadership position in a club, internship opportunity at a company you admire, or in a relationship context. Don’t allow yourself to spend a large amount of time overanalyzing the past and taking things personally. Move on and seek your next venture. Grow from your experiences and focus on what steps you can take to move forward.

Any words of inspiration? 

Take all advice you receive with a grain of salt. There will be so many people whether it be parents, your own best friends, faculty, classmates.. etc telling you what they think is best for you. People who haven’t experienced certain situations from your point of view. The only person who truly knows you best is yourself!! Sometimes you need to make your own decisions.

Alexia is a sophomore at Michigan State University studying Creative Advertsing with a minor in Public Relations. She dreams of pursuing a career within the fashion industry after her graduation in 2023.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.