Culture > News

Celebration: Americans React to the Election of Biden/Harris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

11:30 am. November 7th, 2020. Major cities across the US erupt in celebration. Every headline reads: “Joseph R. Biden Jr. is the 46th President of the United States of America” Let’s take a look at some of the celebrations occurring throughout the country:

New York City

All-day and night Saturday, videos posted on social media sites such as Twitter and Tiktok showed the residents of the Big Apple parading the streets and celebrating the new President. The Washington Fountain became a dance party with people waving flags, banners, and signs. Times Square depicted a scene reminiscent of a movie in which the city has just been saved from the villain by their hero. That hero is Joe Biden. Lines of cars drove through the neighborhoods of Brooklyn blaring music and waving the American, BLM, Biden, and pride flags. People hugged, cheered, cried, danced, and celebrated what some people are calling a “new birth” of America — an America of hope and equality. Masks were prominent throughout all of these celebrations.

Chicago

Hundreds of masked Chicagoans flooded the streets from Saturday afternoon through evening similarly to New York City. Signs with “You’re Fired!” were prominent outside of Trump Tower along with pride and American flags. Cars drove by honking with Biden campaign signs hanging out the window as people high-fived and hugged in the streets. Videos show teary-eyed people proud of the unity in their city and the hope they feel for the future.

Philadelphia

The City of Brotherly Love did not disappoint their nickname as a key city in Biden’s win. Again, hundreds of people masked up flooded the streets happy to see the end of four years of slander of their city. People hugged, cried, and celebrated the election of the first woman of color as Vice President. Music flooded the streets as people cheered and held Biden/Harris campaign signs as well as pride and American flags. The popular mascot of the NHL’s Philadelphia Flyers, Gritty, was seen on multiple signs and across the internet as an anti-Trump icon.

Los Angeles

LA celebrated with people popping bottles of champagne, doing backflips off cars, and setting off fireworks. Shouting and singing could also be heard for hours as caravans of people drove through the city adorned with flags, signs, and music such as FDT, a popular song by YG and Nipsey Hussle. The energy in the air was that of pride and of freedom with women and POC who were seen celebrating with less fear of their existence in America.

Washington D.C.

Last, but not least, in the current home of Trump, people flooded to the front of the White House. The now-famous fence around the White House, which was covered in protest signs since the start of Election week, was surrounded by people with similar signs to Chicago; a resounding message of “you’re fired” was echoed throughout the streets. In the Black Lives Matter Plaza, people cried, hugged, screamed, cheered, and celebrated the relief they felt. Masks, BLM shirts, and anti-Trump and pro-Biden signs and clothing were common. Joy was in the air and has stayed there since the election was called.

Across the country, the message is clear—Your time is up, Trump. Now is a time for unity and healing made clear by President-elect Joe Biden during his victory speech Saturday night. It’s time to make this country equal for all regardless of race, gender, sexuality, and status and put the “United” back in the United States of America.

Grace is a Zoology major with a pre-veterinary concentration. She plans on becoming a Zoo Veterinarian, preferably at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the Australia Zoo. She enjoys activism, exploring nature, thrifting, and consuming excessive amounts of iced coffee. Grace likes to paint, watch anime, take care of plants, and obsess over frogs, cats, raccoons and possums in her free time.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.