This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As a plant mom, I’m always looking for new ways to help my plants grow and be healthy (especially during the winter months). 

A few weeks ago, I came across a video that explained putting banana peels in a jar with water for a few days creates a natural nutrient spray for your plants. So, I peeled a banana, put some water in a jar, and let the magic happen. 

Within the first few hours, it will start to turn a brownish color (I know it doesn’t sound appealing, no pun intended). When it turns to a dark brown almost black is when your banana water is ready to be put in a spray bottle. 

I then put my banana water into a spray bottle, and began using it on my plants 1-2 times a week, and have noticed amazing benefits from the spray. 

1. My Plants have grown a noticeable amount
    After using the banana spray, my plants have grown at least an inch or two within the first few weeks of use. They have sprawled and are looking more alive than ever (especially my Monstera).
  1. My Plants are brighter
    In the winter, plants don’t always get the amount of sunlight they need, even when they’re placed near a window. When I started using the spray, I noticed that my plants became brighter and more vibrant, there was less of a dull or even yellow tinge to them. 
  1. My Plants have fewer dead leaves on them
    Sometimes it’s natural for plants to have a dead leaf or two, but with the spray, I have noticed fewer leaves have been falling or dying on my plants. My plants have been healthier than ever before.

Having over 10 plants and being a full-time student, sometimes it’s hard to find time to take care of my plants, but this spray has helped my plants gain nutrients they may not be able to get.

If you’re looking for an easy, simple way to help out your plant babies during the winter months, or just looking for some extra care, I definitely recommend giving the banana water spray a try!

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.