7 Signs You’re Not a Freshman Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

We all know what being a freshman is like. A lot of it’s blindly stumbling through campus, hoping you don’t look like a complete idiot tourist who doesn’t know where the heck any of her classes are. But a lot of it is anticipation and excitement about the future and the new opportunities awaiting. Freshman year is a crazy and fun ride, but quite frankly, we’re all lowkey happy it’s over.

1.  You’ve mastered the art of pretending like you know what you’re doing.

It’s your first day of class and you have no idea where the Biomedical and Physical Sciences building is located, but no one will ever notice because your head’s held high and there’s an obvious kick in your step.

2. You’ve learned how to avoid those crazy bikers.

Basically, your reflexes are on point. A biker comes flying towards you at 10 miles an hour and you have only a split second to decide how to react. Luckily, months of training have led you to this moment and you swerve out of the way just in time.

3. You’ve retired your lanyard to your pocket.

The stereotype has, for a long time, been that only freshman wear their lanyards around their necks. I mean, it is convenient… being able to keep your room/bathroom key and student ID in one place, safely secured on your body. However, you have a difficult time understanding why the lanyard has become a fashion statement. Wearing it like a necklace seems a tad bit odd and, not to mention, uncomfortable. You prefer putting it in your pocket or even your backpack. It seems to be working just fine.

4. The words to your Alma Mater are still a mystery to you, but unfortunately it is no longer acceptable to be clueless.

Football games get a little awkward thanks to this one. You clap along to the Fight Song just fine and feel like the true embodiment of school spirit, but you get a little antsy once that announcer cues up “MSU Shadows.” You may even worry that you’ll end up on the big screen for 75,000 other Spartan fans to see you mumbling along.

5. You’re so over caf food, yet kinda miss it when you no longer have a meal plan.

Yeah, eating the same thing in Brody Square every day probably got really boring. But you’d give anything to have the luxury of buffet-style, pre-prepared food again. No grocery shopping, no cooking – those were the days.

6. The pressure to declare a major (and not change your mind a million times) is real.

Ah, the good ol’ days of freshman year, when it was acceptable say, “Oh, I’m still undecided” or “Right now I’m in mechanical engineering, but I’m considering changing to packaging.” Now people either give you blank stares or judgmentally raise their eyebrows, wondering is wrong with you, if you don’t have a plan.

7. You’ve finally got this whole college thing figured out.

Lol jk

Bekkah Baldwin is a sophomore at Michigan State University and is still undeclared but thinking about majoring in Neuroscience or Psychology with a minor in German. She loves to write, loves her school, and loves the idea of giving young women an outlet for their voices to be heard. So HerCampus seemed like the perfect place for her. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys being the goofy person she is with her friends and watching Netflix (because who doesn't). Her favorite shows include Friends, Gilmore Girls, Parks and Rec and One Tree Hill. Reading is another hobby, as is writing the occasional FanFiction for some of her favorite 80s movies. During summer breaks she works at the movie theatre in her hometown, one of her favorite places in the world and finds herself eating popcorn and drinking slushies all day. She works as a tour guide at MSU and has never stopped being excited about having the opportunity to show off her awesome school. She's 50% German and tends to visit family in Europe once a year. She wants to study abroad for sure and travel the world long after her college days are over. College was a wonderful transition, a place where she instantly felt she belonged and found her best friends, and she can't wait to see what this year as part of the HerCampus team will bring. Go Green!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian