Molly Peach-Laughing In Field
Molly Peach-Laughing In Field
Molly Peach / Her Campus

5 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Earth day is coming up in the next few days and even though we can’t get outside to do our part now, I wanted to come up with a few ways for us to help from home and keep these habits once we’re out of lockdown. As we all know, the river in Italy has started clearing, and the smog has finally cleared in Beijing, showing the direct impact we have on our environment. While we can’t control the impact big business has had on the environment, that doesn’t mean we can’t do something individually. This is our future, the future of our kids and our grandkids. One way to help secure their future is by making steps — whether big or small — to decrease our carbon footprints. I’ve done some research and looked up what experts say are some of the most effective, easiest ways to start contributing to the movement.  

Planting Native Plants

Some people may believe it’s best to plant just for the sake of planting, but Sunwind Solutions says otherwise. This can lead to invasive species taking over the natural plant life, therefore ruining native plant life and harming the environment. The best way to make sure you’re not unintentionally harming your yard is to look into plants that are native to your area and talk to your local greenhouse employees to become more knowledgeable about what to plant in your area.  

Conserve Water and Electricity

While stuck at home for weeks on end, it may be easy to fall into a cycle of keeping busy by doing laundry all day, taking extra long showers, and having more lights or fans running which all contributes to a greater use of water and electricity. In order to prevent more water runoff into the ocean and increase in energy use, trying to limit water usage and turning off things when they’re not in use is a simple way to be efficient. 

Consume Less and Upcycle More 

I’m guilty of online shopping a lot more recently since being quarantined, especially for unnecessary items. Green Mountain Energy explains how using the fourth “r” word, refuse, can help reduce a build up of nonessential items that, realistically, won’t be getting much attention. The easiest way to do this is to be mindful when shopping and asking yourself if the item is really something you would use often or if you’re just craving instant gratification.
However, if you do find yourself splurging on items that you end up not being able to get much use out of, try to upcycle them, or find new uses for them. If you bought clothes you don’t like, maybe you can turn it into something you do like, or give it to a friend, or donate it. If there are other household items you don’t want, you can also create something out of so you don’t have to buy artwork or household items.

Shop Locally

Supporting local businesses means you’re almost guaranteed fresh goods that didn’t go through the transportation process which is harmful to the environment. In this time of need, everyone is flocking to Sams Club and Walmart but forgetting about smaller stores who can’t afford to take the loss. In an attempt to keep these stores open and find the items that may be out of stock at larger stores, shop locally. 

Volunteer

One of the most rewarding ways to help the planet is to volunteer at organizations that match what you’re passionate about such as cleaning up local beaches or helping tend to local gardens. While we may not be able to go out and volunteer right now, you can still look into local organizations that are doing things that you’re interested in helping with which will allow you to meet people that share similar interests.

While we may not have the opportunity to celebrate Earth Day together, there are still some simple ways to decrease your carbon footprint without having to drastically change your lifestyle. 

Megan is a junior at Michigan State majoring in Advertising Management with a minor in Public Relations and Entrepreneurship. She is interested in all things beauty related and suffers from a crippling caffeine addiction. When she's not watching Sex and the City or working on some new project, she can most likely be found at the nearest beach.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!