5 Unexpected Enjoyments in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Welcome to college: where you begin to enjoy activities that you never thought you’d engage in before.

1. Drinking coffee

In high school, you drank lattes because they are so creamy and yummy. Breaking news: in college you run off of coffee, it is your source of everything that is life. Even when you run out of creamer and you’re late, you’re drinking it black or you’re going back to bed. In college, you learn why your parents wouldn’t let you speak until they had their morning cup of joe.

2. Walking

Honestly, we all have that one particular side of us that really hates any type of bodily movement for any reason. At first, it’s stressful because you have no idea where anything is and you’re secretly trying to follow your Google Maps without looking like a total freshman, but then you figure it out. You begin to look forward to the time you get to spend walking around on campus and  — when it’s not snowing in April — it’s actually really beautiful. 

3. Architecture

When you spend time walking around all the same buildings every day, you start to notice them. The small intricate details of the window panes, the craft of the cathedral ceilings, to finding yourself talking about the complexities of a building in casual conversation. Admiring the architecture around you is wonderful, but you might find that, come end of the second semester, you won’t really like how the building can get overheated like a toaster oven.

4. Talking to your mom

When you leave, you are headstrong and think, “No way will i need my mom when I’m in college,” and you are dead wrong. Your mom becomes your best friend. You will find yourself calling her day after day asking her the dumbest questions. There’s nothing wrong with this, either. Your mom is right, though, you do love her and you will miss her: cherish that.

5. The Masters

You will for sure, 100 percent will find yourself watching The Masters. Growing up, your dad or grandpa always watched golf and you thought that was the most boring thing ever. The golf channel was something you prayed never got put on. Now, in college, yeah you’re gonna find not only yourself, but several other students in your lecture, watching Tiger Woods dig himself out of the bunker and have a beautiful lie on the green. You may not understand it, but you will do it and you will enjoy it.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.