5 Productive Things to Do at Home, Because I Know You’re Tired of Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Being forced to stay home is anything but fun. Aside from making us all a little stir crazy, staying indoors all day can make some feel lazy and unmotivated (which is perfectly OK!). But this doesn’t always have to be the case. While you shouldn’t strain yourself to be productive during quarantine — this can be an amazing opportunity to get ahead.  And let’s face it, sometimes days and nights spent doing self-care and watching Netflix can get old.  So, here are five productive activities that will leave you feeling refreshed and inspired.  

Sign up for free online classes

With the spring semester coming to a close, you may find yourself craving some more knowledge. Luckily, many prestigious colleges, like Harvard, Yale, and Princeton offer free online courses that anyone can take. Topics for these courses vary from fashion and business to computer science and health — so if there is something you want to learn more about, now’s your chance.

And if you want to gain some new skills, try online platforms like skillshare.com. With skillshare, you can learn a variety of new skills ranging from web design to calligraphy. Now is the perfect time to learn a cool new skill to show off to your friends once quarantine is over.

Catch up on your reading

Spend some time finally finishing that book you haven’t had the time to finish. Or, start reading a new book. Reading is not only calming but also can help you stay creative, improve your writing and expand your vocabulary. And if books aren’t your thing ­— try reading a few articles in your favorite magazine.

Try new recipes

I know you’ve seen a bunch of recipes on TikTok you’ve been dying to try — now is a great time to start! Whether you are simply making peanut butter cookies or a full meal, cooking is a fun way to pass the time, and the end result is delicious food — what could be better?

Deep clean your room

With all of the time you will be spending in your room, try to make it a space you love to be in. Reorganize your drawers, clean out your closet — you can even rearrange your furniture. Make sure this is a space that makes you feel inspired, creative, cozy and safe. 

Start a new workout regime 

Exercising is an all-around good time. It makes you feel happier, improves your skin, increases your energy and so much more. With this newfound free time, you can take advantage of resources like YouTube to try new workouts to find what works for you and your goals. 

Don’t worry, better times are coming!

Ri'An is a third-year student at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Public Relations and Creative Writing. She loves writing and ties it to her passions in fashion, beauty, and wellness. Outside of writing for HerCampus, you can find Ri'An in a coffee shop reading her current favorite novel or Elle magzine.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!