This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s the week after Valentine’s — and you haven’t gotten your romance fix yet. Even if you spent your Valentine’s Day Netflix-and-chilling or binging your favorite TV Show, there’s room for a little more romance this week. Here is a list of slightly older romantic movie recommendations for your post-Valentine’s viewing. 

No Strings Attached (2011)

This rom-com, starring Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher, is my go-to for every Valentine’s Day. The beginning takes place in Michigan, which is always fun to see onscreen. But overall the film is sweet, sexy and very funny.  It follows Emma and Adam, who have met up several times over the years in a variety of cringey ways (including her Dad’s funeral the morning after a frat party) and have now found each other in California, where Emma is doing her residency and Adam is a PA on a television set. The two decide to start up as friends-with-benefits, and it doesn’t take long for them to catch feelings. But with Emma afraid of relationships and Adam wanting to keep her happy, the couple face several bumps before finally finding happiness. The best moment of the movie is when Emma says he can’t buy her flowers when she finally agrees to go on a date with him, so he picks her up with a bouquet of carrots — no flowers, right? 

A Cinderella Story (2004)

This early-2000’s romance is one of my favorites because it is so funny. It’s a modern-day retelling of Cinderella, where “loser” Sam has been anonymously IM’ing popular school quarterback Austin, and they plan to meet up at the school masquerade dance. Sam has to be back at her evil step-mother’s diner for work before midnight, and leaves behind her cellphone that Prince Charming must try to return to her. When their identities are revealed, they’re forced apart, but eventually find their way to a happy ending. Packed with over-the-top characters and sweet moments, this is the perfect feel-good movie if you want a little nostalgia

Enchanted (2007)

Speaking of happy endings, it wouldn’t be romance without a story about a real princess. In this live-action movie from Disney, animated princess Giselle is sent to the real world and must find her true love to break a curse that’s been placed on her. She meets Robert, who doesn’t believe in true love anymore, and his daughter Morgan, who believes wholeheartedly in fairytales. Together they defeat the evil queen and find their way to Happily Ever After. With songs and score by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, who have brought us many of the  movies and musicals we love to sing along to, it’s perfect for a feel-good movie night

Say Anything (1989) 

If you need a romantic feel-good story, this is the one for you. “Say Anything” is the movie that brought us the iconic image of John Cusack holding a radio above his head blasting “In Your Eyes” by Peter Gabriel (of 80’s power band Genesis). Cusack plays Lloyd, an average guy with no plans for the future, who falls in love with high school valedictorian Diane. Surprisingly, Diane falls for him too, defying her father, who wants her to continue on her predetermined path in life. When it comes to light that her father isn’t entirely honest in his business dealings, Diane decides to forge her own path with Lloyd at her side. 

Moulin Rouge (2001)

Maybe you haven’t thought about this movie in a while, or maybe you’ve been jamming out to songs from it on TikTok, but Moulin Rouge is the perfect romantic movie for all seasons. The film follows young writer Christian, who moves to Montmartre, Paris to pursue writing. While there, he gets roped into the Bohemian art movement and meets Satine, a dancer at the Moulin Rouge club who wants to be an actress. They fall in love at first sight, but Satine is already promised to a wealthy Duke who has promised to keep both her and the club in wealth. Satine must make the choice to follow the money or follow her heart. With a soundtrack that absolutely slaps and young Ewan McGregor playing Christian — the movie is perfect to snuggle up and sing along to with your partner, your friends or your pets. 

Whether you’re looking to get that last little bit of romantic entertainment out of the season, or you’re in the mood to cuddle up and watch the snow fall with your pets this week, check out some of these older romantic movies. The nostalgia of pre-streaming-era films is perfect for when you’ve exhausted your Netflix and Hulu queues or are waiting for new media to drop. 

Hi! My name is C, I'm originally from Oregon and came to MSU to pursue my passions: fencing, gymnastics, theater, and writing. In addition to writing for HerCampus, I'm an avid fanfiction author/reader and also write plays and novels. When not on the fencing strip with the MSU Fencing team, I'm nose-deep in a good book or painting some wild art. Follow me on instagram @c.rosewidmann to see pictures of my furbabies.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.