The 411 on Crash Diets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With spring break just around the corner, many of us find ourselves wanting to shed a few pounds. The winter months of hibernating and studying are soon over and with bikinis and swim trunks coming soon, your new year’s resolution of eating better and getting fit may seem unattainable. In a race against the clock you may find yourself turning to a “fad” diet or a “crash” diet to lose a few before vacation. Diets such as the Master Cleanse or the Cabbage Soup Diet may have quick results but the weight loss doesn’t last long. Derek Evans, amateur bodybuilder and former Marine says, “…you should think of fitness as an iceberg where 30% is working out and 70% is diet. Eating a balanced diet is huge if you want to make changes. If you’re not constantly pushing good nutrients through your body, you will go into survival mode and store fat.” He also explains why crash diets are only temporary: “…your body uses up fat reserves first and then muscle so you lose weight. Once you start eating again, your body is going to latch on to what its been missing, in particular the fats and you will see weight gain.” If you’re looking to lose 10 pounds, Evans recommends, “The 40-40-20 rule” making sure 40% of your calories come from protein, 40% from carbohydrates and 20% from fats. Stick with this and cut back on your calorie intake and you should be able to shed those extra pounds before bathing suit weather and keep it off the healthy way!

For more free health advice visit Evan’s page at

https://www.facebook.com/IronAddict.13?fref=ts

Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis