4 Things to Consider Before Transferring Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

According to the Digest of Education Statistics, there were 4,726 degree-granting postsecondary institutions in the United States in the year 2013. And, somehow, you narrowed down this staggering number of schools to a handful. You applied, got in, and chose “the one.” But what happens when you arrive with full expectations for this school to give you the best four years of your life and it turns out to feel…not so great? Although it may seem like you’re the only one unhappy with your school, you are not alone. Here is some advice for the girl who wants out, from a transfer student herself.

1.     Consider your reasons for wanting to transfer. Although there is nothing wrong with switching schools, you should make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons. Do you feel stifled or overwhelmed by the size? Or maybe you want to be closer to home. But if you’re itching to get out to be with a significant other or your best friend, you might want to rethink.

2.     Give it time and focus on the good stuff. During my freshman year, I began looking elsewhere as early as October. Although I eventually ended up transferring (and could not be happier with my choice) I wish I had focused more energy trying to enjoy where I was as opposed to being miserable and thinking about how much I wanted to leave. As much as I wanted to be out of there at the end of my first semester, I ended up staying for the rest of the year and made two of my best friends. Some of my fondest memories happened in that second semester. Even when you think you can’t, stick it out just a little longer.

3.     Don’t compare your experience to others’. Especially in the age of social media bragging and exploitation, it is common to feel like you’re the only one who doesn’t have it all pulled together. So when your friend’s Instagram feed is giving you the “why me” (or why not me) blues, reconsider. Focus on what you want and need out of a school and know that your time will come.

4.     There is no perfect school. Although finding somewhere that is a better fit for you can significantly better your college experience, it isn’t the key to living a flawless, happy life. There will probably be things you dislike about wherever you are, but having a good attitude and focusing on what you do like is the determining factor of satisfaction. 

I am a sophomore at Michigan State University double majoring in apparel and textile design and journalism.
Alena Davis is a senior journalism major at MSU and co-campus correspondent for HCMSU. She hopes to pursue a career in magazines based in New York or Chicago. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, Instagramming and excursioning with friends. Follow her on Twitter: @alenaadavis & Instagram: @alenadavis