10 Student Organizations You Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

550 is a pretty big number.  Driving from East Lansing to Nashville, Tennessee is 550 miles.  The Washington Monument is roughly 550 feet tall. Every two minutes, about 550 babies are born.  But none of these statistics are as wild as this: at MSU, we have over 550 student organizations to participate in.  On one hand, this is great; because we have so many organizations, we can be confident that at least one of them will be interesting to us.  But, how do we look for the organizations that are right for us?  Looking through a list of over 550 groups is overwhelming, and seeing them lined up in booths at events like Sparticipation makes it seem like there are way too many options.  Well, to help everyone out, we compiled a list of 10 unique and varied campus organizations to help everyone get involved.

MSU Dance Club

Founded in 2005, the MSU dance club has been one of the many great ways to keep dancing on MSU’s campus.  According to their website, the Dance Club “…strives to provide dance training to all students interested in learning and developing skills.”  This group has the best of both worlds: an opportunity for both beginners and veterans to try out dancing.  They hold auditions every September and January for their company, which holds recitals at the end of every semester.  There are three levels to their company, but if even that is too advanced there are workshops held every Sunday from 3:30-5 p.m.  Dance Club also has events such as trips to the cider mill and participation in the Homecoming Parade.  Dance club is a great way for girls to continue dancing in college and make some lifelong friends while doing it.  If you would like more information about the MSU Dance Club, visit their website athttp://www.msudc.com.

MSU Model UN

Model UN has been a part of MSU since the 1970’s.  Since the year 2000, however, MSUMUN has been hosting the premier high school Model UN conference on campus during the spring of every year.  This organization is helpful for building leadership, teaching high schoolers, and gaining knowledge about world issues.  Mari Manoogian, Undersecretary General of Community Outreach said, “Students build a curriculum for the students to debate at the conference, which can range from International Security to historical events.  It’s a great resume builder, and teaches valuable leadership skills and team building.”  In the end, this organization is about preparing for the competition while making friends with some of the most hardworking people that MSU has to offer.  For more information about MSU Model UN, you can email msumodelun@gmail.com or go online to www.msumun.org.

Ladies First

After high school, many women don’t get a chance to continue singing seriously.  That’s where Ladies First comes in, as the best all-female a cappella group on campus.  Singing at Michigan State for 27 years, Ladies First has continued to allow girls that love choral singing to carry on in college as well as give girls the opportunity to make extraordinary friendships that are bonded through their love of singing and performing.  Everyone comes from different majors and walks of life, but the diversity lets them bring different strengths to their group, a representative from Ladies First said.  However, in order to become exceptional, there is a rather large time commitment that comes with your membership.  Ladies First rehearses every Monday and Wednesday from 5:30 to 7 p.m., and every Sunday from 6-9 p.m.  There also are various university performances along with a concert each semester.  If you would like more information about Ladies first, you can email ladies@msu.edu or go online at www.freewebs.com/msuladiesfirst.

[pagebreak]

Invisible Children at MSU

The KONY 2012 video has become a viral sensation around the United States, and now you can become a part of that movement here at Michigan State.  IC@MSU is a group focused on raising awareness and educating students about children soldiers, especially in Central Africa and the LRA (Lord’s Resistance Army).   They do this by setting up events around campus such as screenings and discussions sessions.  Because IC@MSU is a relatively new program new members are always welcome!  Also, on April 19th, Invisible Children is hosting the official spring screening of KONY 2012 in B117 Wells Hall.  There will be special guests from the Invisible Children headquarters in San Diego and a speaker from Uganda.  IC@MSU has bi-weekly meetings Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in 205 Natural Sciences Building.  If you would like more information, visit them on Facebook or Twitter or go to their website at http://www.icatmsu.com

Michigan State College Libertarians

Political views are something that should be developed while in college.  While many organizations centered on politics exist at MSU, the Michigan State College Libertarians are the only ones focused on bringing to light the Libertarian way of thinking.  The group consists of all Libertarian students who, according to their website, “…engage in activism, education, outreach and networking, all with a focus on the Libertarian political philosophy.”  MSCL engages in events as well, and in February attended the International Students for Liberty Conference in Washington D.C. which informed students about the Liberty movement in the United States.  They also host speakers, organize protests and publish podcasts.  This is a great way to meet people with similar political views and engage in meaningful debates and discussions.  If you would like more information about the Michigan State College Libertarians, visit their website at http://mscl.msuliberty.com/

Spartan Ski Club

If you are looking for a club that is very little commitment and pure fun, Spartan Ski Club is for you.  The largest social club on campus, SSC brings together people from all over campus that bond over non-competitive skiing and snowboarding.  Ski Club has everything that the casual skier or snowboarder would want: annual trips and fun social events.  Over Christmas break, SSC takes a trip to Colorado to hit the slopes, while smaller trips to places like Blue Mountain in Canada and Shanty Creek occur throughout the winter.  Social events, though, happen throughout the year and give members a chance to make great friends.  “I love all the people I’ve met through SSC,” said sophomore Lauren Ferguson.  “Everyone is really friendly and great.”  So if you’re looking for a great place to make some friends or you just want to go on some awesome trips, Spartan Ski Club is the club for you.  For more information, find them on Facebook, Twitter or go to www.msu.edu/user/skiclub.

[pagebreak]

Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU)

Campus Crusade for Christ, or CRU, puts on Real Life here at MSU, one of the largest weekly Christian meetings on campus.  Every Thursday at 7:30 p.m., students gather at N130 in the Business College to worship, hear some great testimonies and connect with God.  Real Life is mostly like a church service for college students, but it is non-denominational, staff-directed and run completely by students.  It’s also a great place to connect with other Christian students.  “What I like most about Real Life,” said sophomore Grace Connolly, “is the opportunity to grow in my relationship with God while experiencing a fun and loving student community.”  Besides Real Life, CRU also sponsors many off campus events and Life Groups.  Life Groups can be found all around campus, and offer a chance to connect deeper with Christ as well as the other Christians in your residence hall.  If you’re looking to connect deeper with God and with other Christians on Campus, CRU is the organization for you.  For more information, visit their website at http://www.msureallife.com.

Club Sports

Club sports aren’t just for the boys.  Here at MSU, there are multiple club sports for girls that are competitive in all the right ways.  There is Women’s Club Soccer, Volleyball, Water Polo, Softball, Ice Hockey (both JV and Varsity), Lacrosse, Rugby and Ultimate Frisbee.  Coming from playing sports non-stop in high school to only IM sports in college leaves some people missing the competitive edge of real games and tournaments.  Club sports give those students a chance to compete against other universities in the Big Ten without the pressure of a varsity sport.  Most of these clubs are active year round and have weekly practices as well as occasional tournament games.  Club sports are another great way to meet people that share common interests and talents as well.  If you want more information on any of the club sports that MSU offers, visit this website: www.recsports.msu.edu/Club%20Sports/index.html.

MSU Quidditch

It may seem ridiculous, but Quidditch is an actual sport here at MSU.  Even more, it is quite popular, with a traveling team with 24 active players and many other on-campus teams.  Although it seems puzzling that they would try to play a game that usually requires magic, but in actuality this game requires lots of running, throwing, catching, and a person dressed up as the golden snitch.  The team practices on Demonstration Field, but travels to many different universities to compete.  There is even a Quidditch World Cup that, in 2011, took place in New York City.  To join an on-campus team one must attend the beginning of the semester kick-off meeting and sign up.  However, there are tryouts for the traveling team at the beginning of every semester if you are up for a challenge.  The MSU Quidditch team is a great way to have fun, get some great exercise and meet cool new people.  If you would like more information about the MSU Quidditch team, visit their website at https://www.msu.edu/~msuquid/index.html

French Club

Michigan State offers many different language classes and clubs that complement them.  Founded in 2010, the French Club is the fastest growing language club on campus.  As part of their mission statement, the French Club hopes to “….promote greater awareness, understanding, and appreciation for the French language and francophone cultures.”  French Club is a great place to practice French as well as find out about cultural learning opportunities and networking.  Along with academic help and community events, the club holds many social events that allow its members to get to know one another and become friends.  Freshman Heather Hartmann said, “Being in the French Club, I am able to make new friends who are just as in love with the French culture and language as I am.”  If you would like more information about the French Club at MSU, visit their website at https://www.msu.edu/~frnclub/index.html

Hopefully this list could help expose some of Michigan State’s premier student organizations, and allow more students to get connected to a group or club that they love.  If you would like to see a larger list of organizations, the Department of Student Life has an all-inclusive list to help you get involved.

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!