samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Struggles of Working in Food Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Whether you’ve worked in a fancy restaurant or at a fast food joint, there are some struggles that we all understand. Our jobs aren’t glorious and pretty much anything can annoy you when you’ve worked a 12-hour shift in food service. Here are some of the struggles we can all relate too.

1. “Cl-Open”

Ahh, the joy of leaving your designated torture chamber at 11 p.m. – you are free and life is good again. Then, you wake up and open. Closing then opening is pretty much a soul-sucking experience.

2. When a customer comes in minutes before close

Picture this: It’s two minutes before you lock the doors, everything is cleaned and put away, and then… you see headlights. You pray that they will see what time you close and think that it isn’t a good idea to come in. But most likely ,they stick their head in and say, “Are you still open?” Unfortunately you have to say yes. The customer will then repeatedly say how they hate to be “that person,” but they are that person anyway.

3. Complaints about price

I’m not sure what goes through a customer’s head when they complain about the price of food to us low-level servers. We are just here for a paycheck. We have no control over how much this stuff costs, and didn’t they just look at the menu where the price is listed?!

4. No-slip shoes

Some food service workers aren’t required to wear no-slip shoes, but there are us lucky ones who are. If you don’t wanna eat the floor, you pretty much need no-slips. Thank goodness they are fashionable (lol).

5. Creepy flirts

Just because someone’s over the age of 50, doesn’t mean they should be able to flirt with us. Yes, I am a college-aged girl. No, I don’t think it’s funny. Yes, you should leave before I freak out.

6. Running out of food

It is the absolute end of the world to run out of something at a restaurant. Well, to the customers it is. The worst is when they just get up and leave because of it. Or they yell at you – like let me go cry in the bathroom real quick.

7. Expired coupons

The day that a coupon expires is a day from hell. Non-stop chaos because you must get your 25 percent off a drink with an entree purchase. I get it though, coupons are the actual best. But if the coupon is expired, THERE ISN’T ANYTHING TO BE DONE. Unless, you want me to lose my job.

8. Phone talkers

If you want to be the actual worst customer ever, then talk on the phone while it is time for your order to be taken. If you want to be the spawn of satan, hold your index finger up telling me, “one minute.” No big deal, just have a line out the door.

9. “Can I talk to your manager?”

*Insert dramatic sigh here.* Most likely, a customer is mad because I am following the rules of my job. Which again, results in me not getting fired. Then, my manager is going to tell me all of the things you said because the customer is not always right. If someone asks for a manager and you are the manager, kudos for you because that’s an amazing moment.

10. Customer service voice

You know what I’m talking about. That high pitch, joyous tone that only emerges when speaking to a customer. It actually pains me when hearing my own customer service voice. But it’s a necessity because you have to hide that resting bitch face somehow.

Thank goodness for co-workers that become like family and for the regulars who put a smile on your face. Food service is what it is, but it’s worth it when you get that paycheck.

Feminist | Editor | Lesbian