10 Relaxing Cover Songs to Listen to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you often peruse through Youtube or Spotify in a search for new music. Because I like to play music while doing homework or relaxing, I usually opt to listen to acoustic covers of songs. Here is a list of my ten favorite cover songs that help me relax.

1. Katelyn Tarver – “Planez”

Originally an R&B jam by singer Jeremih, Katelyn Tarver adds a smooth acoustic twist to this song. Listen to it on Youtube here.

2. Handsome Ghost – “Sex”

One of the more popular songs by indie rock band The 1975, Sex is originally performed with electric guitars and drums. Handsome Ghost sings this song with mellow vibes. Listen to it here.

3. Hozier- “Do I Wanna Know”

This is my favorite cover of all time. The lyrics are much more emphasized in this slowed-down version of an Arctic Monkeys rock song. Hozier gives this song a whole new meaning. Words seriously cannot describe how beautiful this cover is.  Listen for yourself  here.

4. Nicole Scherzinger – “Purple Rain”

I personally think Nicole Scherzinger of The Pussycat Dolls is one of the most underrated vocalists in this generation. Sung as a tribute to the late Prince, Nicole’s cover of “Purple Rain” is sure to give you chills. Listen to it here.

5. Brooklyn Duo feat. Escher Quartet – “Creep”

While this one is different from the others on the list because it is only instrumental, it is equally as beautiful. This orchestral cover of Radiohead’s “Creep” gave me an appreciation for instrumental covers. Listen to it here.

6. Sleeping At Last – “99 Red Balloons”

This is another cover that really lets you appreciate the lyrics. The original version by Nena is an upbeat German pop song. The piano backing and soft vocals make it perfect for a chill playlist (or shedding a tear or two). Listen to it here.

7. Iron & Wine – “Time After Time”

Iron & Wine pretty much leads the Indie music world when it comes to chill music. If you appreciate acoustic guitar music and Cyndi Lauper classics, then this cover is a match made in heaven. Listen to it time after time here.

8. Rita Ora – “Hey Ya!”

You’re lying if you say you’ve never shook it like a polaroid picture to Outkast’s “Hey Ya!”. While this version is not as upbeat and danceable, it is equally as amazing. Rita Ora’s vocals make the song more powerful and raw. Listen to it here.

9. Harry Styles – “Ultralight Beam”

Because this was recorded live at a concert, the quality isn’t the best. This cover still made the list because, well, it’s Harry Styles. Need I say more? Listen to the magic that is made when Harry Styles meets Kanye West here.

10. Ed Sheeran – “Chasing Cars”

I’ve never met a person who doesn’t like Ed Sheeran’s music. Combine his soothing voice with an early 2000s love song and you get perfection. Listen to Ed Sheeran sing Snow Patrol’s “Chasing Cars” here.

Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.