10 Reasons Why Galentine’s Day is better than Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again — the dreaded commercialized season of love. Luckily, Galentine’s day exists to remind you that you don’t need a partner to celebrate.

It’s another excuse for a girls night

Galentine’s Day gives you an excuse to hit up your favorite girls and plan a night with no boys involved.

You can eat as much as you want of whatever you want

Say goodbye to portion control and say hello to shoving your face! There’s no one to impress when it’s just the girls, so go ahead and indulge in as much chocolate, pizza and wine as you want.

It’s okay, (and slightly encouraged), to get sloppy wine drunk

It’s expected that all the girls will be getting a little tipsy at the very least, but it’s a girls night so feel free to top off a bottle of wine if that’s where the night brings you. Or tequila. The world is your oyster.

There’s no pressure!

Unless you were invited to a girls night with a new group of ladies, there’s no pressure involved on Galentine’s Day. You don’t have to worry about having the first-date jitters or planning out an extensive evening with your significant other. All there is to stress about is not having a hangover when you roll out of bed the next morning.

You have no reason to shave!

Exfoliating and shaving every square inch of your body is a lengthy process, especially in the middle of winter when your legs haven’t seen the light of day since September. Luckily, there’s no obligation to shave for your girls.

It’s inclusive

Whether you’re dating someone or not, you still have a reason to make plans this Valentine’s season.

It’s something to celebrate in the dead of winter

I’m basically hibernating from January to March and face the outdoors as little as possible. The post-holiday and seasonal depression start to hit pretty hard around this time, so a holiday dedicated to drinking and eating with my closest friends is a perfect way to lighten up the mood.

It doesn’t require a lot of money

You can get a bottle of wine and some snacks for less than $20 which is much cheaper than any Valentine’s date.

Self care night!

It’s the perfect time to do facemasks and give each other mani-pedis with your favorite rom-com on in the background. Treat yourself!

Every day is Galentine’s Day

Dedicating a night to appreciating your girlfriends can make you realize it needs to happen more often. Don’t just celebrate your girls a few days a year, celebrate each other more throughout the year!

Happy Galentine’s Day!

Megan is a junior at Michigan State majoring in Advertising Management with a minor in Public Relations and Entrepreneurship. She is interested in all things beauty related and suffers from a crippling caffeine addiction. When she's not watching Sex and the City or working on some new project, she can most likely be found at the nearest beach.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.