This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

Originals Horror Movies

I have compiled a ghastly list of original movies featuring classic and timeless monster tropes. Sit back with some popcorn and be reeled back to a time before Lucasfilm and CGI. Donʻt be afraid to read on, I won’t spoil any of the thrills or endings ;)

Nosferatu (1922)

The original vampire movie, Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, is a silent and unauthorized/unofficial film adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The film follows a real estate agent, Thomas Hutter, on his journey to Transylvania as he helps Count Orlok find a home to buy in Thomasʻ hometown, Wisborg. As the movie develops, the count becomes obsessed with Thomasʻ wife and ventures to Wisborg to capture her heart.

Frankenstein (1931)

A movie based on a play based on a book, 1931ʻs Frankenstein, is nothing short of interesting. Dr. Frankenstein and his hunchback assistant, Fritz, begin piecing together a creature from various corpses they dug up. After Dr. Frankenstein brings the monster to life a serious of…unfortunate events, to say the least, play out and eventually lead to the creation’s demise. Or does it? The creature escapes the pull of death yet again and explores the village as the doctor prepares for his wedding…

The Wolf Man (1941)

After the sudden death of his brother, Larry Talbot journeys back to his ancestral home in Llanwelly, Wales to reconnect with his estranged father. While there Larry beings to fall for a local shop owner, Gwen. As he tries to win her affection, he tries to learn more about the werewolf lore of the town, prompted by a purchased at Gwen’s shop. After an encounter with what he believes to be a wolf attack, a fortune teller reveals that the wolf is actually her son and now that he (Larry) has be bitten by a werewolf he too will transform into one.

The Mummy (1932)

The movie is set in 1921 following an archaeological expedition that finds the mummy of an ancient Egyptian priest named Imhotep. The mummy comes to life after one of the assistants reads aloud a translated scroll of life and escapes. Ten years later, we see Imhotep has disguised himself as a modern Egyptian named Ardeth Bay and has led his original founders to the exact resting place of his forbidden lover, princess Anck-su-namun.

White Zombie (1932)

After reuniting in Haiti with her fiancé Neil, our heroine, Madeleine Short become the captor of the couple’s gracious host, Charles Beaumont, a wealthy plantation owner. Blinded by his love for Madeline, Charles enlists the help of voodoo master, Murder Legendre. Murder gives Charles a love potion which he then gives to Madeline. The potion doesn’t take effect until after Madeline and Neil’s wedding, killing her. After her burial, Charles and Murder take her body from her tomb and brining her back to life as a zombie. White Zombie is an epic love triangle that ends in death and rebirth

~Reagan Thornley

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_