This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

The moment I opened my eyes, I knew it wasn’t going to be a good day. I had been woken up by the sounds of outside and just needed my sleep. That frustration turned into me being so fed up with things I couldn’t control; things that shouldn’t have upset me in the first place. Only five minutes of being awake and I was already done with the day. I let my tears out (most just built up) and continued on. I had my moment, I even embraced the moment, but I wanted to do everything in my power to set up a better day for myself. If this day was going to be a “snitch”, for lack of a better term, I at least wanted to make it mine. 

So, here’s what happened: I told myself I was not going to let this day bring me down. It had no right! I have had days where I let myself settle into the idea of “just a bad day,” but it was different this time. See, I don’t think it is okay to wake up and have a bad day off the bat. Does it happen? Yes, absolutely. But I think we sometimes just accept that instead of trying to tackle it. If we constantly revert to letting the “bad day” happen, then the “good day” doesn’t have room to move in. 

The “good day” energy just sometimes isn’t there though, and that is okay. But if you are actively trying to kick a day in the behind, you have to make a move. For me, that meant going for a drive, blaring music I love and screaming it at the top of my lungs, and ending up at Lowe’s to buy a plant. Little did I know that they would have a Venus flytrap, exactly what I have been wanting! Had I not taken initiative in making a good day for myself, I wouldn’t have gotten a plant (and a few things to propagate!!) For you, it may look different. The point is, whatever you know is a surefire way of improving your mood, DO THAT. 

But, of course, my day wasn’t over yet. Homework was completely overwhelming, but instead of saying “I can’t do it, this is too hard,” I breathed (in the midst of the breakdown) and let out “I can do it.” When I tell yall it is about the little things, it really is. The little help I gave myself helped me to push through my assignment and had just enough time to run out to my car to get to class!

How funny it was when I got to my car though. It had poured all morning, and I had left my window open. My back seat was drenched but didn’t do a thing about it; I didn’t let it phase me. Just threw on my feel-good music and drove on to class. I think the important thing here is to not let things trip you up. If you let them have power over you, they will. 

I thought I had my day handled. My class went great, and I was so excited to get home and eat and chill! But when I got to my car this time, it was like the cherry on top. I had lost my car keys. I panicked and immediately started to retrace my steps from the long day. As I was beginning my journey across campus, of course, my phone had to die. So here I was, walking through campus, with no phone, tearful eyes, and hope to find my keys. 

After retracing my steps and covering my bases, I was exhausted. Absolutely drained. What was I going to do? I told myself that they were replaceable; everything was going to be okay. I thought about my action plan to get myself back on track. I thought about walking home, but in a moment, I remembered I had my laptop with me. I facetimed my boyfriend and he picked me up. I left campus without my keys, but I wasn’t hopeless. I knew I had it in me to find them.

I got home and collapsed, but my roommate helped console me. Another thing I learned is that you can’t do it all by yourself. You have to accept help and let your guard down, or you will feel the weight of the world on your shoulders; because when a tiny crumb comes your way, it will feel like a boulder. 

I ended up finding my keys the next day, but it took some patience. That day shook me all up and made me realize some things. It is good to push through, but not over the edge. Have hope and a positive mind. Every day brings new challenges, but only you decide how to handle them. And if those challenges all come at once in a day, take it head-on, it’s 24 hours. If I can do it, so can you.

~Sidney Burden

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_