This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

Healthier alternatives to some favorite foods

If you’re anything like me, food is one of my all-time favorite things. Unfortunately, there are so many foods out there that are delicious but aren’t necessarily good for our bodies. The food we choose to fuel ourselves with can help preserve our health for years to come!

Here are a few of my favorite healthier alternatives!

Buffalo wings

Alternative: Buffalo cauliflower

This alternative is excellent if you’re wanting to switch to a vegetarian diet. Believe it or not, baked cauliflower can be a great wing substitute! Just make sure you don’t overdo it on the buffalo sauce in order to keep this recipe healthy!

Hamburgers

Alternative: Veggie burger

If you haven’t already tried a veggie burger, you’re missing out. When I became a vegetarian, I quickly learned that veggie burgers can taste just as good as traditional beef ones. I recommend trying different brands, such as MorningStar Farms and BOCA, to find your favorite veggie burger!

White bread

Alternative: Wheat bread

This is a small but great way to start if you’re looking to eat a healthier diet. Treat yourself to the whole grains your body needs without sacrificing the bread you love! As a plus, wheat bread can help keep you fuller longer, which can reduce excessive snacking.

Soda

Alternative: Sparkling water

Get your carbonated drink fix without all the excess calories! I’ve loved sparkling water ever since first trying it years ago. With a wide array of flavors to choose from, you’re bound to discover one that you’ll enjoy! It can be an acquired taste for some, so I recommend trying it more than one time.

Potato chips

Alternative: Carrot sticks

Potato chips can be addicting, but with excessive salt, it can take a toll on your health. How about some carrot sticks instead? Carrot sticks are crunchy like chips but contain nutrients your body needs! Feel free to add some ranch if you’d like but keep the amount low to maximize health benefits!

-Anna Tye

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_