Hiking Shoes Boots Mountains View Adventure Climb Fun Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

February artist of the month: Colter Wall

Ahh, Colter Wall, the only man I have sworn to marry based solely on his voice. To this very day, I have yet to see a picture of him and intend to keep it this way until I finally see him in person.

Colter Wall, a Canadian Singer-songwriter, quickly rose to fame after the release of his 2015 EP, Imaginary Appalachia. Songs from the EP were used in Dog the Bounty Hunter, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Hell or High Water, and promoted heavily by wrestling star, Brock Lesnar.

Colter has released one EP and two full-length albums. Since his first single, The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie, released in 2015, Wall continued to release music under Studio One and was later signed to Rick Rubinʻs American Songs Company.

Colter’s music can be described in numerous musical terms, but I prefer to describe it in a scene. Imagine this: it is 1854 in the middle of a dessert you see on the horizon a town and a dark figure riding up to you on a black stallion. His voice is husky and soulful as though he has lived over 20 lifetimes and in the background, you hear gunshots and spurs spinning. This is the pure essence of Colter Wall’s music.

Discography

Imaginary Appalachia EP (2015)

A seven-song EP opening with the upbeat folk tune, Sleeping on the Blacktop. the EP includes Wall’s breakout hit, The Devil Wears a Suit and Tie

Colter Wall (2017)

An eleven-song album with somber guitar overtones and some, according to Wall, autobiographical songs. Storybook songs like Me and Big Dave and Kate McCannon bring this album to life.

Songs of the Plains (2018)

An eleven-song album with folk and western influences. A personal favorite from the album is, John Beyers (Camaro Song). 

Latest Release

Colter Wall and the Scary Prairie Boys. The release features two songs, Happy Reunion and Bob Fudge.

~Reagan Thornley

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_
Heyyyo. My name is Bryce Payne and I am one of the founders for Her Campus at Mississippi State University. I am a senior majoring in Psychology with a minor in Print and Digital Journalism! I love working with others and going out with friends to relieve stress. Feel free to email me at brycemegan00@gmail.com. Have a great day!! XOXO