This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MS State chapter.

I’ve always been a fan of plants, but I hadn’t had any until a few months ago. I was afraid to bring plant babies home and have them die on my watch. But after a little research (and a spare few hours to spend at Lowe’s), I am now a happy plant momma! I haven’t killed these beauties yet and I’m sure you won’t either. So, if you’re anything like me and want your house to turn into a jungle, here’s a few plants to get you started!

Monstera Deliciosa

Starting off with my absolute favorite, the monstera, aka “swiss cheese plant.” This leafy boi likes medium indirect sun and only wants water when the soil gets dry. It thrives in a more humid environment, but normal room humidity works too. Mine has had some pretty good growth, enough for me to take a trimming to propagate it and have another! The monstera is so big and beautiful, and I think every plant lover should have one!

String of Pearls

I love a good hanging plant and my hybrid of string of pearls is so pretty. Mine is more of a string of tears, but essentially is the same plant. Put this baby by a window and let it hang! String of pearls likes well-draining soil and doesn’t like to be watered too much. I think it is such a cute, funky addition to any space, and it’s so fun to watch it grow!

Snake Plant

When I got my snake plant, it said, “plants of steel,” and that has turned out to be so accurate. You basically can’t kill this one. You don’t have to water it much and it doesn’t need direct sun, so you can really just get one and let it be. Not only is this a super easy plant to take care of, but it also has air clarifying properties! My snake plant is super cute, and I definitely recommend getting one!

Cactus

I got a little cactus one day and it is the most precious thing. I just let it hang out on my windowsill and I don’t water it frequently! Honestly, they are so cheap and easy to care for that there isn’t a reason to not get one! There are so many different kinds, so you could even have a family of them!

~Sidney Burden

Hi, my name is Reagan Thornley! :) I am currently a Business Administration student at Mississippi State with a completed minor in Political Science. Outside of Her Campus, I write for Juiced! Zine (https://juiceourmagazine.wixsite.com/mysite) and Crates Music Blog. Feel free to email me at jrtm.thornley@gmail.com with upcoming music events, artist/band suggestions, and travel tips and suggestions(especially food)! P.S. Donʻt forget to follow my adventures on my Instagram @lady_gk_