This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Moore chapter.

Meghan Devonshire
Age: 22
Major: Art Ed
Year: Senior
How did you know you wanted to be an art education major?
            I worked with kids for a long time in various capacities. I have been working in a residential program for kids since 2008 and I was always pretty good at it. I liked it, so I knew I wanted to keep doing that. I also had a really awesome art teacher in high school that made me really interested in art.

What is your plan as an art education major once you graduate?
            I’m really enjoying what I’m doing at PSD (Pennsylvania School for the Deaf), so if I have the opportunity to keep doing that and working with populations like that I’d really like to. I’ve considered going into nonprofit stuff. The PMA (Philadelphia Museum of Art) has an education program as well as some other places that have similar programs, so I’ve given thought to that. I’m not really sure if I want to go right into a public school classroom, but I’ve given it thought.

What made you choose to work with kids that have handicaps?
            I fell into it by accident. I was taking a special populations class here at Moore, which is required for all education majors, and a teacher for the class, Lauren (who is amazing), is the art teacher at PSD. I had never given any thought to working with deaf kids before; I didn’t sign and hadn’t worked with the deaf community, but I really thought Lauren was incredible, and I really wanted to student teach with her. I went to observe her and I asked if she ever wanted to take a student teacher. She said, “yes, but I don’t want to be the interpreter.” So I came back and found an incredible sign language mentor who is deaf and I started learning to sign. I asked Lauren if I could student teach and I told her I was learning signing and she was really excited. It felt rewarding to hear that, so that’s how I got into that.

How long have you been student teaching at PSD?
            Exactly three days after our first week of classes. It has been amazing and more awesome than I could have hoped for.

How big is your class?
            We see several different classes, but most are no larger than seven students. The school is structured from young childhood to age 21. Many of the students have known the teachers for a long time since they have been going there since early childhood.

Since you’re graduating this coming May do you plan on staying with PSD or plan to explore your options?
            I plan on staying in the area and just see where that takes me. I have an opportunity to work with the program I’ve been working with for a while, but I really like PSD and if I have an opportunity to stay there I would. I have to apply for a position like anyone else, but I’m not going to lock myself into any position just yet.

How long have you been learning from your mentor?
            I started teaching myself to sign in February 2011 right after my observation with Lauren. I started working with Heather, my mentor, in August 2011. We meet once a week for a very intense session.

Would you say you are fluent or communicative with your signing?
            I’m not fluent but definitely communicative. I’ve only been signing less than a year, but I’m able to communicate for the most part with the students and faculty (some of whom are deaf/ hard of hearing).

Do you teach the same curriculum as you would learn in a public high school?
            There is a parallel between PSD and any public school, but we might make adaptations that are made more for children with multiple handicaps than a public school teacher would have to make. Lauren did a section on deaf artist and it influences the children and relates to them.

Is there an age group you prefer to work with?
            I never thought that I would enjoy working with little kids. When I was working at the residential program all the students were high school age, and I loved it. Now I’ve been exposed to pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade, and they are excited over everything, they think it’s magic. They are excited for art and it makes me excited to do this. It’s nice to know making art can make someone so excited. Since art makes all of the kids happy, I haven’t really found an age group that I particularly like; I love them all!

Cassandra is a sophomore majoring in graphic design with a double minor in business and digital arts at Moore College of Art & Design. Cassandra is the founder and president of the HC branch at her school. She is a proud jersey girl who loves to be loud. In her free time you can find Cassandra working at Starbucks, partying, riding something fast, or trying something new. One thing is for sure wherever she is you will be sure to hear her! Cassandra loves to meet new people and do anything fun! She loves the color purple, sneakers, jeans, and of course her computer. After college Cassandra hopes to own her own advertising company and work for famous sneaker brands.