Culture > News

University of Montevallo Approves Her Campus as Official Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

As of Thursday, October 31st, the University of Montevallo approved Her Campus as an official organization on campus. 

Her Campus is an online magazine for college women that focuses on lifestyle, fashion, and college advice. 

Her Campus allows universities to start a chapter where students can further their careers in journalism, social media, and public relations. 

Her Campus at Montevallo accepts and encourages students of all gender expressions. Students are welcome to join the staff to contribute weekly or freelance their work for a chance to be featured.

Her Campus is looking for work that uplifts and services college students, specifically targeted at college women. 

The Montevallo chapter was established by Mass Communication student, Julia Gigis. 

“At Montevallo, we have a lot of traditionally journalistic organizations, but as an aspiring magazine writer, I wanted more creative freedom. Since I couldn’t find an opportunity for myself, I decided to create one by looking into starting a chapter with Her Campus” said Gigis. 

Students looking to join can email hc.montevallo@hercampus.com to get in contact with Campus Correspondent, Julia Gigis. 

Gigis encourages students to join so they can gain “hands-on experience in [their] career field”. 

If students are looking to support Her Campus at Montevallo, they can follow the Instagram page @hcmontevallo or visit www.hercampus.com/montevallo

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.