Style > Beauty

Summer is Out and Straight Hair is In: 5 Tips to Have a Flawless Blowout this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Goodbye steamy sticky summer and hello crisp cool fall. Curly girls, you can finally let down your hair, take off your ponytails and pull out your flat irons! We all know the humidity in the summer forbids coiled, curly, and/or thicker haired girls from wearing their hair straight. We are forced to wear our hair up and in protective styles, because at the sight of sweat our straightened hair slowly reverts to its original state or our perfect twist outs become an unsettling frizzy mess. Luckily, all those problems fade away once temperatures drop. 

The process of straightening curly hair is long and tiring, here are some tips to make your hard work last longer than three lousy days. 

MAKE SURE YOU WASH AND CONDITION YOUR HAIR! (NO LEAVE-IN’S)

Clean your hair well. We use a lot of products to keep our curls moist and bouncy, but the extra products will make your straight style loose volume and become stiff as aboard. Also, leave-in conditioners and other heavy products cause build-up on your flat-irons.

DRY YOUR HAIR COMPLETELY!

Flat ironing damp hair is a waste of your time. Your hair will immediately frizz of it’s not completely dry. Make sure you focus your flat irons on your roots.

USE A STRAIGHTENING SERUM.

Depending on your curl pattern you may need some extra help to keep your hair straight. Try straightening serums and blow out sprays.

SKIP THE GYM

Yes, here’s that permission to procrastinate leg day. I know your body goals are important but try to avoid sweating. If working out is a must, do something less rigorous.

PROTECT YOUR HAIR WHILE SLEEPING.

Tossing and turning in bed will not help keep your hair silky. Also, night sweats are real! If you know how to wrap your hair around the circumference of your head and tie it in place with a satin/silk head wrap. If you don’t know how instead, brush your hair straight back and very loosely bobby pin it up. Then put on a satin/silk scarf and a place a bonnet over. This is important for longevity one night of reckless sleeping will revert you right back to curls.

I hope these tips help as you begin straightening your hair in the fall and winter!

Breanna Malone

Montevallo '20

Breanna is Senior majoring in Multimedia Journalism. Her favorite pass times are traveling and creating memories. Politics, fashion, makeup and inspirational stories are the things that keep me inspired to write!
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.