The Perks and Pitfalls of Living in a Private Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Does the classic college experience require living in a stuffy room with a randomly assigned roommate? I asked myself this question after requesting a private dorm during my freshman year. It’s no secret that FOMO (fear of missing out) is a real occurrence; especially when it comes to living up to the standard of the “true college experience.” After living the solo dorm life for two semesters, here are the pros and cons I’ve gathered on having a private dorm. 

Pro: There is never any drama Living with a roommate can be both a blessing and a curse. Instant obligatory friendship, but with friendships comes drama. Living by myself, I got to live by my own rules. If I didn’t feel like cleaning my dorm, there was no one to passive-aggressively ask me to pick up my pile of clothes off the floor. 

Con: Living by yourself can get lonely If you have a hard time making friends, living in a private dorm may isolate you and potentially keep you from finding a group of friends. According to forbes.com, loneliness and mental health are closely connected. As an extrovert, I hosted friends over quite frequently and found it hard to fill my alone time productively. 

Pro: You won’t have to ever worry about your decorations clashing Hitting the jackpot in college is finding someone that understands your room aesthetic. However, some college students aren’t as lucky. Some dorms have a great divide between roommates with decorations such as k-pop posters or sorority paddles. 

Con: Private dorms come with twice the furniture While moving into my private dorm, I noticed that the small space was extremely overcrowded with two beds, two desks, and two nightstands. If you are living alone and have twice the amount of furniture you’d need, you might find yourself struggling to arrange your room to your liking. Since this is my second semester living in a private dorm, I have found a few helpful tips and tricks. Pro tip: Disassemble your spare bed and shove it in your closet or hide it away under your bed! 

Pro: You will gain vital experience in adulting. Living alone means taking on the sole responsibility of household maintenance. During my first year of living alone I learned how to sanitize my sink, do my own laundry, and routinely clean out my fridge. I didn’t realize how awful my room would smell after leaving old food in my fridge during winter break. Though living alone means taking on more responsibility, I am forever grateful that I learned how to be independent at a young age!

Con: Living in a private dorm is a luxury and it comes at luxury price too. Since two roommates share the cost of one room, a private dorm is more expensive. Another example of paying “one for the price of two” is fridge rental. Instead of splitting the cost, expect to pay full price for a fridge that is typically shared among two students. Pro tip #2: If your university provides a communal fridge in the kitchen, skip out on the mini fridge to dodge a pricey rental fee! 

Whether you decide to team up with a roommate, live alone, or even commute to campus, you have the power to define what the classic college experience is. 

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.