Career

This NYU Grad Re-Invented What it Means to be a Doggy Blogger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Sassy, confident, and fierce are the words to describe the best friend duo behind the Instagram page @addie_so_baddie. But what you wouldn’t suspect is that the team behind a page that markets natural hair care products is social media guru, Mackenzie Martin, and her fur baby, Addie So Baddie. In an overpopulated world of influencers and celebrity dog personalities, it’s hard to be original. But combining the two brand identities is what made Martin’s account so successful. 

Martin started her account, @addie_so_baddie, less than a year ago in October of 2018 and her account has already reached over four thousand followers. The Instagram page features photos of both Martin and her corgi, Addie, around New York City. From flat lays with Corgi butts to street style OOTDs, Martin’s page creates a unique hook, unlike any other dog blog. 

After persevering during a stressful time, Martin deleted her personal Instagram page for a social media detox. It wasn’t until she met Addie So Baddie that Martin rekindled her passion for content creating. 

When the runt of the litter and an NYU college student met, it was as if the stars had aligned.  “I got incredibly anxious about walking around Manhattan even though I’ve lived here for four years. You have to be tough if you’re going to walk around here; especially as a young woman. She [Addie] saved my life,” Martin shared. 

Martin’s page originally was the niche dog lover Instagram. “In the beginning, I used a dog voice,” she laughed. What started as a dog mom’s collection of photos, turned into a carefully curated page with a distinct flare. 

“Once Addie turned one, she started behaving. Now she knows when photos are being taken care of her,” Martin said. 

Martin admits her number one photographer is the self-timer on her phone, but she also gets help from her room-mate and her boyfriend. #instagramboyfriend. 

When most people think of an influencer, they imagine the cookie-cutter Instagram baddie with perfect skin and a massive wardrobe. “The biggest skill I’ve obtained is the ability is to take anything and turn it into talking about a product,” said Martin. Buying products from a photogenic Corgi isn’t something most people can admit they’ve done. “I think it [@addie_so_baddie] makes me more memorable and gives me an angle that most people don’t have,” She shared.

From a side hustle marketing hair care products to scouting Instagrammable locations around NYC for dog photoshoots to working a 9-to-5, Martin earns her self proclaimed title of the “Kris Jenner of ‘dog-momagers’”. 

As a recent graduate in the marketing industry, Martin advises those pursuing their career to remind themselves “If you’re feeling scared every day that’s how you know you’re doing it right”. 

The dog mom and daughter duo plan to continue to grow their brand. As for Martin, she hopes to expand her influencer career into an entrepreneurial pursuit. As a young woman getting her foot in the door, Martin said her method of creativity is, “throwing spaghetti on the wall and seeing what will stick”. 

As Martin’s page rapidly grows with more and more success, it won’t be long before the stubby-legged corgi, Addie will be strutting down the streets with celebrity status. Follow MacKenzie Martin and Addie’s journey on Instagram @addie_so_baddie. 

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.