Career

MEET THE STAFF: President & Editor-in-Chief Julia Gigis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Julia Gigis launched the University of Montevallo’s chapter of Her Campus in August of 2019 after looking for a way to follow her dreams of lifestyle reporting. Gigis is a sophomore at Montevallo studying Mass Communication with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism. 

What inspired you to launch Her Campus at Montevallo? 

“There are a lot of opportunities on campus, but there weren’t any that I found suitable for my career path. So I thought ‘well if there isn’t anything here for me to do, I’ll create the opportunity for myself and others like me’.” 

What is your favorite thing about Her Campus?

“I love that there is a company out there connecting thousands of college students with so many great opportunities. I hope that I will have the chance to pay it forward in my career one day as well.”

What inspires you?

“Honestly, romantic comedies. There are so many movies about young women that are pursuing their careers in journalism and seeing that as a young impressionable kid, it really stuck with me.” 

What is your plan/goal after college?

“I used to think I would work for a magazine straight out of undergrad, but I know now that there are other things I want to get done before starting my career. Now, I kind of want to get a masters in creative writing or journalism in London.” 

What is a piece of advice for college freshmen?

“Stop thinking you need to go to parties, join greek life, or go on dates to have ‘the college experience’. Enjoy yourself, but follow your heart and your vision for your life.” 

Jonathan Weed

Montevallo '22

I am Jonathan Weed a Mass Communication major at the University of Montevallo. I love all things to do with Mass Media and cannot wait for the future of journalism.