Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Editor’s October Picks: What I’m Splurging On Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Since most of my time is spent grinding in the library or hustling at my retail job, I like to enjoy my paychecks with a few unnecessary pleasures from time to time. These are a few of my favorite purchases from October! 

Kristin Ess – Extra Gentle Shampoo

Lately, my friends and I have been talking about clean beauty in terms of skincare and then I thought what about haircare…? I always heard my hairstylists ramble on about sulfate-free shampoo, but the thought never went further than the parking lot of my hair salon. After some consideration, my friend and I headed to Target in search of an affordable, effective, healthy shampoo with aesthetic packaging (because that is what’s important). 

That’s when I stumbled upon the slender baby pink shampoo bottle labeled “Kristin Ess Extra Gentle Shampoo”. The shampoo is marketed for sensitive skin and scalp users and proudly brands itself as cruelty-free. The hair care line is designed by celebrity hairstylist, Kristin Ess and is available at Target (or should I say “Tar Jay”). 

The Extra Gentle Shampoo smells so good – like to the point that my date’s cat was eating and sniffing my hair. Washing my hair with this stuff makes all the difference in not only the result, but the process of washing my hair feels like a salon experience! The formula is silky and luxurious and leaves my hair feeling like satin! 

ON SALE ALERT: VS Satin Floral Sleep Separates 

They say when you have a matching PJ set, that’s when you have your life together. As a college student, I need to have my life together – but I don’t and that’s why this PJ set is helping me fake it ’til I make it. 

Victoria’s Secret is known for its lingerie, but during the holiday season, it’s all about the pajamas! I mean they’re cozy and make me feel like I just woke up on a yacht in the Maldives. The PJ set is sold separately, but they’re now on sale. The Satin Floral Sleep top’s original price was $69.50 but is now available online for $40. This particular design comes in “Blue Bold Beautiful Floral” and “Ruby Wine Grand Blossom”. 

I bought the sleep top and shorts in blue, and absolutely adore the luxurious look of them! 

Flamingo Shave Set

Living in small-town Alabama and on a college-gal budget, it’s hard to be environmentally friendly, but the amount of money I blow on one-time use razors is insane! I’m buying crappy pink razors every week and they aren’t even cute. 

The up-and-coming beauty brand, Flamingo, specializes in hair removal products. Not only are the products more sustainable, but the company is all about women’s empowerment and body positivity. Plus, the razors are pretty darn cute. 

For $16, I bought The Shave Set that includes 1 razor handle, 2 razor blades, 1 foaming shave gel, 1 body lotion, 1 shower hook, and a reusable pouch! Talk about a deal! 

You can visit the site to purchase your own Shave Set (free shipping on orders over $10) or visit a store that sells their products. Just a BTW, I saw a Shave Set for sale at Urban Outfitters last week! 

Skinnydip London – Phone Cases

Not neccessarily a product, but I love all of Skinnydip London’s phone cases. They have some pretty good prices, a 20% off student discount, and free shipping for UK orders *cries in American*. 

Their designs are unique, trendy, and the epitome of millenial culture. 

Honey Mama’s Nibs & Coffee Bar

Whenever I’m craving a sweet treat, I can rely on Honey Mama’s to fight my cravings. The Paleo bar is made from super clean ingredients and is only 117 calories. The bars are rich and decadent so I know only one bar will satisify me.

You can buy them online, but it’s more cost effective to purchase them in store (I get mine at Trader Joe’s). 10/10 healthy and tasty. 

I love all of these products, but the next few months I will be going on a low-buy/no-buy journey so stay tuned for that article! 

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.