This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

I never thought that being in a Sorority would be a part of my life.  However, after being uninvolved and not making strong connections with anyone in the last two years, I decided to majorly step out of my comfort zone and sign up for recruitment. 

I’m so glad that I did because being in a sorority presented me with so many opportunities that I likely never would have taken advantage of. I got involved with my University’s literary arts magazine, participated in our homecoming tradition, and took part in several Philanthropy events. I even danced on a stage in front of an auditorium full of people. Not to mention the fact that I made so many memories with some of the most wonderful and inspirational women I’ve ever known — women that will forever have a piece of my heart. 

Unfortunately, since I went through recruitment during my junior year, it wasn’t long before graduation was right around the corner. This past May, I officially became an Alumna of Alpha Gamma Delta. And just like that, it felt like my Sorority experience was over. Throughout this past summer, I watched my sisters prepare for their upcoming recruitment season from a distance. I constantly wished that I was able to be there alongside them throughout the process, even if it was just for one more time. 

I would be staying at the same university for graduate school, yet I wouldn’t be able to participate in any of the recruitment events. Recruitment takes a lot of hard work, but some of my best memories and bonding moments with my sisters came from preparing for it. It felt very isolating and disheartening to not be able to be there with them during the exciting process of welcoming new sisters into our Sorority. 

I knew I wanted to be at Bid Day, where the various sorority women on campus had their new sisters run home to them. I felt a little nervous even being there, as I hadn’t kept in touch with any of my sisters since graduation. I live pretty far away from my university, and I spent the entirety of my summer working and planning for grad school. 

As soon as I stepped foot on campus, I immediately felt the same energy I felt during my own Bid Day, especially as I got closer to where the event was taking place. I was FaceTiming one of my fellow alum sisters, who had recently journeyed to Washington, DC to begin her graduate program. I felt a lot of emotions as I watched both the soon-to-be sorority women in the same position I had been just a couple of years ago and my sisters, singing and laughing and ready to welcome their new members. 

It felt strange to be an onlooker this year, but I could not have been happier to watch so many girls run to the same place I considered home when I went through recruitment. My sisters happily welcomed them with open arms. After a little while, I finally walked up to my sisters, and it wasn’t long before they spotted me and took the time out of this special moment to come to hug me and say hello. Both myself and the sister I was FaceTiming got to say hello to the new members and catch up with the current members. It felt so wonderful to be back with them and to still be a part of the love and excitement. 

I got to accompany everyone back to our Bid Day party, where we all eat snacks and get to know the new members better. I caught up with even more of my sisters, including some other fellow alums who had come into town for the day. I received hug after hug from them, all filling me in on the goings-on of their lives, making plans with me, and telling me that they missed me and were happy to see me. 

From having my alum sister there with me virtually to share the moment, to being greeted with smiles and hugs, to watching how lovingly these women interact with each other, my heart was so full. And it finally hit me that even though I am no longer an active member of my sorority, these women will always be a part of my life. I will always cherish the memories I have made and will continue to make, as being a sorority woman never truly stops being a part of you. The bonds that we share throughout such a unique experience last a lifetime, and I could not be more thankful to be a part of it. 

Danielle Tetro is a graduate student at the University of Montevallo who is pursing her Master of Education in Counseling with a focus on Clinical Mental Health. She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Montevallo in 2019 and received her Bachelor of Art in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Danielle hopes to work in a University setting counseling college students while continuing to write in her spare time. Danielle enjoys coffee, sushi, and dogs of all kind.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.