Style > Decor

A College Gal’s Go-To Guide for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

The first official day of fall is September 23rd, which means it’s finally socially acceptable to embrace all things pumpkin spice. Fall is one of my absolute favorite times of the year, so I’ve compiled a list of some of my favorite tips, tricks, and ideas for this upcoming fall season.

One of my favorite ways to prep for fall is to make sure everything smells like it! Bath & Body Works is famous for releasing seasonal products and they’ve got some amazing deals on fall scented candles right now. Some scents that I’ve got my eye on include “Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin” and “Cider Lane.” They’ve got a variety of options, which is great depending on whether you prefer sweet scents or more natural, earthy scents. If you want to go the extra mile, they’ve also got an assortment of soap, lotion, body wash, and perfume that’ll keep you fall-scented too!

It’s the perfect time to start decorating your living space with all the colors of autumn leaves! Red, orange, and gold accents such as throw pillows or fuzzy blankets make your home or dorm room look fall-ready. Having a fall-inspired wreath hung up on your door also makes for a nice and inviting fall addition. I went ahead and decorated the mantle of my fireplace with mini-pumpkins, leaves, and pinecones. Stores like Walmart and Target already have their fall decor out with plenty of options for you to choose from!

Now that it’s getting cooler outside, there are plenty of new recipes to try! One of my favorite things to make (and eat) is loaded baked potato soup, which can even be made in a crockpot and left cooking, ready for you to eat when you get back home. But it’s all about the fall desserts! Snickerdoodle cookies, apple pie, and pumpkin bread are just a few ideas for if you want to get creative in the kitchen. Or you could always stock up on the classic Pillsbury ready-to-bake cookies, which you can’t go wrong with (raw or baked)! Lastly, I’m a big fan of coffee, tea, apple cider, and hot chocolate, and there’s plenty of ways to pumpkin spice up your average drink for fall. One of my absolute favorite festive drinks is salted caramel hot chocolate, which you can make by just adding a pinch of sea salt, some caramel syrup, and (of course) marshmallows and whipped cream to your regular hot chocolate! Pinterest always has loads of different food, dessert, and drink recipes for you to check out!

In my opinion, being cozy is an essential part of celebrating the fall season. And what better way to do that than by settling in for a night of your favorite fall movies? It’s never too early for classics like Hocus Pocus or Halloweentown, even if we’re not quite at Halloween time yet. The Harry Potter series also never fails to put me in a festive mood, and there’s just something so aesthetically pleasing about all of the films. If you’re still feeling witchy vibes, movies like The Craft and Practical Magic are also great options. These are just some suggestions, but any movie that you love combined with a fuzzy blanket and a warm drink is sure to get you feeling cozy for the season! 

Now that you’ve spent time in your fall-decorated home, cozied up with your favorite fall essentials, don’t forget to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather! As it gets cooler, trips to nearby pumpkin patches are a great way to spend time with the people you love. Picking out pumpkins, navigating through corn mazes, and going on hayrides are fun and festive ways to make the best fall memories. Some other options for fall adventures include apple picking, visiting your local farmer’s market, or even just going on a picnic in a park, where you’ll be surrounded by gorgeous fall foliage. 

Hopefully, my go-to guide to prepping for fall has inspired you to try some new things to reach maximum coziness this fall season!

Danielle Tetro is a graduate student at the University of Montevallo who is pursing her Master of Education in Counseling with a focus on Clinical Mental Health. She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Montevallo in 2019 and received her Bachelor of Art in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Danielle hopes to work in a University setting counseling college students while continuing to write in her spare time. Danielle enjoys coffee, sushi, and dogs of all kind.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.