Style

Black Friday Do’s and Don’ts (As Told by a Retail Employee)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is not affiliated with any company nor does it reflect any brand values.

Black Friday is November 29 this year so fuel up on some turkey, squeeze in a couple of cat naps and organize your cardholder to perfection. Here are some helpful tips and friendly reminders to keep in mind while entering the frightening and exciting world of Black Friday.

DO: Go shopping beforehand.

The most common misconception about Black Friday is that you are getting the best deals of the season, but that isn’t always necessarily the truth. I’ve noticed that some promotions are better on regular shopping days so keep an out for email promotions for flash sales.

Sometimes during the weeks leading up to Black Friday, you can get lucky and stumble upon the days in which stores are testing out Black Friday deals which can score you some major savings while skipping the lines.

DON’T: Stand in line if you aren’t buying anything.

‘Tis the season to go shopping with your girl gang, but unless you’re purchasing something, don’t stand in line with your squad. Clusters of people standing in line together make it super difficult for customers and employees to navigate through the line. I know, I know, waiting in a queue is the Black Friday spirit, but you’re not missing out on much.

DO: Sign up for customer loyalty the week before.

A lot of stores have rewards programs, credit cards, and memberships that will benefit you in the long run. Plan out which stores you frequently shop at so you can sign up for loyalty – that way you can earn points, receive perks and even gain early access to Black Friday. 

If you aren’t down with racking up credit cards, you can download apps for free that will share insider’s promotions and coupons. You can also get on the mailing list for some stores by giving them your email and phone number. 

DON’T: Feel like you have to wake up early to get good deals.

TV depicts Black Friday as customers camping outside the store at 3 AM bundled up in puffer jackets. If you have several destinations for your day ahead, getting started early wouldn’t hurt, but the “early bird gets the worm” mindset isn’t required for savings. You can start your day at 8 or even 10 that morning and still grab some good deals.

DO: Be considerate to retail employees.

While you are spending a lot of money this Black Friday, kindness costs nothing so make sure to be friendly to the retail employees that want to give you a great experience!

In the midst of the holiday season, shopping can get a little hectic so make sure to strategically plan your shopping trips! 

Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.