7 Shows To Binge Watch This Holiday Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Nowadays, more and more people are streaming content. With Netflix, Hulu and countless other similar services, sitting and sifting through so many options can be tiresome. So, this coming break, when you need some alone time away from your family or you want to gather everyone around the screen, here are some gems that can eliminate the burden of finding just the right thing to watch.

Raising Dion

Based on a 2015 comic of the same name by Dennis Liu, this Netflix original show centers around a widowed mother who discovers that her young son has superpowers. She then has to navigate keeping her son safe when the government starts looking in their direction. Executive produced by Michael B. Jordan, this show has both a touching story and striking cinematography.

New Girl

In this comedic sitcom, Zooey Deschanel plays a quirky teacher named Jess who after a rough heartbreak moves into an apartment with three single guys. Schmidt is a lady’s man, Nick is a witty underachieving bartender and Winston is a former professional athlete. The three guys, Jess and her best friend, Cece, form an unlikely bond through their shenanigans.

Prodigal Son

As someone who loves cop procedural shows, I was especially excited to start watching “Prodigal Son” and I am so glad I did. This chilling criminal drama tells the story of one of the best criminal psychologists around, Malcolm Bright, who deals with his manipulative mother and serial killer father all while helping the NYPD solve crimes.

That 70s Show

If you need a bit of a throwback, this is a show for you. In small-town Wisconsin, six friends learn to make mistakes and become independent adults during the 1970s. Laura Prepon, also known for her work in “Orange Is the New Black,” plays the feisty and feminist girl next door to the awkward and lovable Eric (Topher Grace). The cast also includes Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher who play on-off again couple Jackie and Kelso.

Insatiable

“Insatiable” follows Bob, a disgraced lawyer turned beauty pageant coach as he takes on Patty Bladell who coins herself as the former fat girl. Patty, played by former Disney star Debby Ryan, is looking for more than a makeover, however. She’s looking for revenge from those who bullied her. Bob and his wife Coralee, played by Alyssa Milano, however, have no idea what to do when Patty’s rage is unleashed. Tune in to this Netflix dark comedy to check out what happens on this rollercoaster ride.

Looking for Alaska

Inspired by the John Green novel, “Looking for Alaska” follows Miles, nicknamed Pudge, as he seeks “the great perhaps” at an Alabama boarding school. There, he meets the beautiful and mysterious Alaska Young, played by Kristene Froseth. Pudge falls hard for Alaska, but when tragedy strikes, will Pudge and his friends be able to cope? This brand-new Hulu original show brings the feels, so make sure to bring the tissues, when you sit down to binge this one.

Brooklyn 99

Revolving around a team of detectives in Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct, this single-camera comedy has appealing character and funny gags. With Andy Samberg as Jake Peralta and Andre Braugher as Captain Raymond Holt, this show is quick-witted and intelligent. It has also received praise for its portrayal of LGBTQ+ characters such as Captain Raymond Holt – an openly gay black man in an interracial marriage. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” also features detective Rosa Diaz coming out as bisexual in episode “99”, which has been described by viewers as an important representation of sexual orientation.

This holiday season can be a breeze; so kick back for some R&R while you bingewatch your way through Thanksgiving break. 

Zoe Hall

Montevallo '22

Zoe is a senior journalism student at the University of Montevallo. She served as EIC of the campus newspaper, The Alabamian, last year. When she's not writing, Zoe enjoys coffee, reading, thrifting and photography.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.