This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montevallo chapter.

Dorm rooms and apartments tend to be tiny, confined spaces that are desperate for new life. Plants are a great way to open up a space and add color. Tending to plants can often be time-consuming and difficult, so here are five plants that are perfect for a busy college student. 

Snake Plant 

Snake plants have a very unique look and are sure to catch everyone’s eye. These plants will not only add a pop of color to your living space, but they will also purify the air. Snake plants thrive in low or indirect sunlight and rarely need watering. 

ZZ Plant 

ZZ plants handle neglect well, meaning if you find yourself without a green thumb, the ZZ plant will be perfect for you. ZZ plants also rarely need watering and handle droughts well. Like snake plants, ZZ plants are well-known air purifiers.

Pothos or Devil’s Ivy 

Pothos plants are beautiful and fit perfectly in a hanging pot to bring an extra bit of life to any room. Pothos do well in a variety of lighting situations, they can thrive almost anywhere. Pothos can be grown in water or dry soil. Pothos plants are also known as Devil’s Ivy because they tend to grow long vines that cascade downward. 

Aloe Vera 

Aloe vera plants are not only easy to maintain, but they are also well-known for the juice from their leaves that are great for relieving burn pain. Aloe vera plants tend to thrive in well-lit areas, so one of these would grow perfectly on your window sill. Aloe vera plants do not require frequent watering or care, making it a great plant for a busy college student. 

Cacti 

If you struggle to maintain plants, a cactus is perfect for you. Cacti are low maintenance and are self-sustaining. They thrive with little to no water. Cacti thrive greatly in warm, sunny spots, making them a perfect part of any balcony or window sill.  

I'm a student at the University of Montevallo pursuing degrees in Political Science and Multimedia Journalism. In my free time, I enjoy reading, writing, and watching Netflix comedy specials.
Julia Gigis is a Multimedia Journalism major at The University of Montevallo. She currently is a marketing intern for RFG Advisory and StrongHer Money. You probably know her as the girl that "dates without dating apps" on Tik Tok, generating over 6 million views and 59k+ followers. In her free time, Julia likes to brunch and take pretentious photos with lattes.