This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hi, my name is Camryn and I’m obsessed with Rachel Hollis. Perhaps you’re familiar with her NYT bestselling books: Girl, Wash Your Face and Girl, Stop Apologizing. I fell in love with her when I stumbled upon her podcast, Rise, but now it’s known as the Rachel Hollis Podcast. She shares incredible advice from how to create a killer morning routine, advice for when you feel stuck in life, how to grow your business, and so much more. Any time I listen to her or read her work, I feel like she’s talking to me personally. 

One topic she emphasizes all the time is gratitude and how a regular gratitude practice will change your life. In fact, studies show that expressing gratitude frequently can improve mental health and reduce the risk of heart disease. If that reason alone isn’t enough to get you to grab your notebook and start your list, I don’t know what is! 

2020 has been a tough year for everyone. Whether you’ve experienced tragedy or are just disappointed about all the experiences you’ve missed out on, it can be hard to stay positive and hopeful. Even though there’s so much negativity, there’s always a bright side and using a gratitude list can help you find those little glimmers of light. 

What makes Rachel Hollis’s gratitude list different from other lists? I’m so glad you asked! Instead of writing down the large things that you’re thankful for, you pick out things that happened in the last 24 hours. This way, you stay grounded in the present and it encourages you to appreciate the smaller details. Don’t get me wrong, the big parts of life are important to be grateful for too, like a house or family or relationship, but looking for small bits of gratitude every day completely shifts your mindset. Even if you aren’t feeling too grateful right now, this practice will help you manifest more blessings into your life as you continue to seek them.  

Here’s the breakdown: reflect on 3-5 things every day that you’re grateful for which happened in the last 24 hours. That’s it.  

If you’re on what small details to write about, here are some suggestions to get your thoughts rolling. That first sip of coffee in the morning. Someone let you merge into crazy traffic. You got a compliment at work. You purchased your favorite smoothie. You had a good laugh with your friends. You got an A on an assignment. You checked off three things from your to-do list. You wore your favorite outfit. A package you’ve been waiting for came in the mail. Express gratitude for any small detail that made your heart feel a little lighter.

It doesn’t matter if you choose to do this practice before you go to sleep so you can recap your day or if you choose to start your day with some thankfulness first thing in the morning. As long as you do this every day, you’ll notice your heart begin to grow! I recommend keeping your journal and pen by your bedside where you’ll see it every time you need to write. If it’s out of your way, it’s too easy to fall off the wagon. 

Want to dive deeper into your gratitude practice? Rachel has a whole podcast episode dedicated to how she writes out her lists. But wait! There’s more. This episode also contains golden nuggets of information on how to manifest your goals while expressing gratitude. Check it out here!

Gratitude is one of the easiest ways to change your life. Grab a piece of paper and get writing!

Camryn is a senior at Montclair State University with a Communications Studies major and a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is a passionate certified fitness instructor specializing in yoga, POUND, and barre. When she's not instructing classes or writing inspiring articles, you'll find her experimenting with her makeup, crafting, eating dessert, going on thrilling day trips, or obsessing over Disney.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.