You Need to Watch Netflix’s ‘Russian Doll’ Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Netflix dropped “Russian Doll” on Feb. 1, gifting the world a deceivingly feel-good binge we never saw coming. This female-driven redemption saga is produced by TV Goddess Amy Poehler, Leslye Headland, and the show’s own Natasha Lyonne (formerly of “Orange is the New Black” and “American Pie”), and with that kind of star-power support, how can you refuse?

The show features Natasha Lyonne as Nadia Volvokov (“V-O-L-V-O-K-O-V: It’s like ‘Volvo’ but with more letters and dyslexic,” in her own words) as she finds herself trapped in a time loop that ends when she dies and restarts in the middle of her thirty-sixth birthday party. Nadia, a spirited video-game programmer, traverses Manhattan dying in almost every way you possibly can in the city, all the while trying to figure out how she triggered her peculiar situation before even looking for a way out.

Although the plot may seem a recycled version of “Groundhog Day,” Nadia’s world makes it feel anything but – that’s one of the refreshing perks of adding a strong female lead to any narrative. Nadia’s determination, her heart of gold, and her charm drive the show through a stunning performance by Lyonne and have you hanging on to everything she sets out to do. Her audience is not so easily fooled, though: Nadia’s interactions with her loved ones and others reveal that beneath her sparkling personality she really is flawed.

But apart from all the badass female energy the show exudes, it really is a spectacular story about what happens when we put ourselves aside for a moment and help each other. Nadia’s situation forces her to ignore whatever she has going in in her life and help those around her, whether it be the homeless man in the park or a new friend she meets on a broken elevator. Throughout her journey, Nadia learns to examine herself in several different new lights, and by connecting with people she normally wouldn’t have, she learns how to reconcile with her own past as well.

“You were this tiny seed buried in darkness, fighting your way to the light. You wanted to live. It’s the most beautiful thing in the world,” Nadia’s Aunt Ruthie tells her in one loop. Ruthie recognizes that Nadia’s chain smoking, her drug habit, and her selfish tendencies stem from a much larger issue inside herself. “Nadia, I look at you chasing down death at every corner, and sweetheart, where is that gorgeous piece of you pushing to be a part of this world?”

“Russian Doll” is a tale of forgiveness. It’s about forgiving each other, forgiving ourselves, forgiving people who aren’t in our lives anymore. It’s about finding the hope and strength in others to help us forgive. It shows you how it’s okay to screw up and it’s okay to ask for help in a world where it sometimes feels like the universe is out to get you (and in Nadia’s case, it really is out to get her). In one fell (four-hour) swoop “Russian Doll” presents a timeless message in a unique narrative: have faith in each other, which is something we all need to be reminded of from time to time.

Brielle is a sophomore at Montclair State University double-majoring in Communication/Media Arts and French, with a minor in Film. Writing has been her passion since age eight and she's so excited to pursue it in the real world. When she's not writing, she's usually at the movies, listening to podcasts, or scrolling through Twitter. Catch her at Starbucks or follow her on Instagram and Twitter under her handle: @breezegiveshugs.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.