This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Let me set the scene for you. It’s Monday morning in November. Christmas break seems years away, and summer seems like a lost dream. I’m running late to class as usual, but this morning is specifically bad; why I decided World Religions at 8:30 am was a good choice is beyond me. I am running across campus in the cold air with one pink sock and another orange. My hair is in the same bun as last night. I pulled an all-nighter completing my 15-page assignment for class. I finally get to my building. Someone is looking at me waiting for me holding the door open. I speed up and walk through and say “sorry.” 

It’s a miracle that I arrive to class at 8:29 am. However, the seating options are slim. Every seat is taken because it’s a midterm review day. I have to squeeze all the way past the first two rows. I see a backpack on a seat in the third row obviously belonging to a student wearing a red baseball hat. I look at him, then the seat, he moves his backpack, I sat down and said, “sorry.” 

Now class begins and proceeds as usual. Our professor instructs us to hand in our assignments to him personally before we leave class. I am the last person in line, because of the third-row seating option. One by one the students go up to our professor and hand in their assignments. Finally, I’m next. I hand in my assignment and my professor looks concerned. He asked me how many pages my assignment was. I answered, “15 as you said in your email to me when I asked for clarification.” He looks down and chuckles a little then explains that he meant 1-5 pages, not 15. It was a slip-up and I did much more work than required. He laughed a little about it and said “whoopsy,” then put my 15 pages on the top of all the other papers. Right before I left I turned to him and said,

“You mean sorry.” 

That was it.

I apologized repeatedly for so many things that I didn’t have to apologize for.  I wasn’t about to apologize for something that I had fallen victim to. Sorry means asking for forgiveness. But what am I asking forgiveness for? Should I apologize for someone holding the door for me? Or should I apologize because the red baseball hat’s backpack needs a chair more than me? Maybe I should apologize for my professor making a “whoopsy” mistake, resulting in me writing 15 unnecessary pages.

I am worth more than that. I am worthy of someone holding the door for me, of a chair, and especially of my professor’s acknowledgment. 

Maybe as soon as I believe in my worth, then I can realize.

You know what? I’m NOT sorry.

Allyson Latini

Montclair '20

Allyson is a Senior at MSU studying Jazz with a double major in Marketing. In her free time she enjoys reading, painting, and traveling! She loves stories and fairytales. Everyone has a story to tell, and Allyson loves helping people tell them. “Finding something worth believing in is the closest thing we have to magic, so believe darling.”
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.