This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.
Christine ‘Lady Bird’ McPherson from “Lady Bird”

This film follows self-named “Lady Bird” during her senior year as she attempts to apply to colleges she has no idea how she’ll afford. Each step of the way she has to overcome another setback, and although she makes mistakes, it’s her flaws that make her such a sympathetic character. Lady Bird helped me to become a more confident and fearless dreamer.

Kimmy Schmidt from “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”

After being held captive in a bunker for 15 years and told it’s the end of the world, Kimmy emerges with a newfound appreciation for a future above ground. Despite everything she’s been through, Kimmy sees her life through rose-colored glasses and her positivity is contagious. Every time I watch this show I leave with some new way to approach life with hope and joy. With Kimmy by my side, I feel like I can overcome anything.

Amelie Poulain from “Amelie”

Amelie may be quiet and reserved, but underneath her shy exterior, she has a vivid imagination. Amelie notices the small details of the world that make it amazing and wonderful. She’s always able to bring out the good in others. Although this film is in French, her quirky idealism needs no translation. My favorite thing about Amelie is her gentle appreciation for the “little things.” Amelie showed me how to see the world with childlike wonder again.

Alexa Spear

Montclair '20

Alexa Spear graduated from Montclair State University with a BA in Communication and Media Arts and minors in English and Photography. On the rare occasion when she's not writing, you can find her watching Netflix or lost in the aisles of TJMaxx. Looking for a writer/editor? Shoot her an email at alexarspear@gmail.com
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.