This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

No one can deny that the amount of women taking over positions in America, is both overdue and extremely crucial. Becoming more of a progressive and equal society means making room for women at the table, especially the table that creates and puts forth legislation. Throughout history, women have repeatedly been denied the opportunity to move up in society, especially in the workplace. Often, women have been doubted and underestimated when it comes to their hard work.

Although, lately several women have a spot in Congress. As opportunities open up, women continue to prove to society that their work is not for nothing and should be appreciated and accepted just as any other person at work.

With 2020 just around the corner, several women have taken the stand and announced their run for presidency. All of these women are Democrats, as there aren’t any Republican women running yet. Let’s see who these women are and what they claim to offer!

Elizabeth Warren

Elizabeth Warren was first voted into office as a U.S. senator in 2012. Since then, the state of Massachusetts has picked her to serve as their senator, an effort to give the power back to the people and less power to big banks.

Her career picked up when she was a bankruptcy lawyer and began to study how and why American families ended up in financial chaos, something she related to as a child. She also worked with former President Barack Obama in 2011, with assisting the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. In 2016 she worked profusely to advocate against Donald Trump and run for presidency by endorsing Hillary Clinton. Currently, she has pushing against the “red wave,” as some would call it and Trump’s administration.

Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris started off as a prosecutor for the state of California as well as the attorney general. She is now a senator for California, and notably, she was the second black woman to ever enter Congress. She is known for embracing very left ideas, such as single-payer healthcare and reform in many different issues regarding immigration. Similar to Warren, she also spoke in opposition to Trump in 2016.

Although it’s still the very early stages, her campaign to be at a good speed.  It is rumored that Harris has received $1.5 million dollars in endorsements and donations.

Kirsten Gillibrand

Kirsten Gillibrand prides herself for being knowledgeable and strategic when it comes to policy and politics. Her father was a lobbyist and her grandmother was the founder of the Albany Democratic Women’s Club, one of the oldest nonprofit organizations in New York’s capital. Gillibrand follows her grandmother’s footsteps by advocating for women’s rights and combatting sexism. Kirsten Gillibrand also worked as a lawyer, building up her career to something much bigger. Gillibrand first started as the U.S. Representative for New York’s 20th congressional district. In 2009, she replaced Hillary Clinton as one of New York’s senators.

Gillibrand has branded herself on fighting for middle-class families, especially mothers. She claims she will fight for mothers because she understands perfectly, being a mother herself. She also vows to fight against sexual assault in the military.  

Tulsi Gabbard

Tulsi Gabbard is now serving at the U.S. Representative of the 2nd congressional district. She is the youngest person to be elected to a U.S. state legislature at the age of 21. Ever since she was a teenager, she has been advocating for things like education and saving Hawaii’s environment. Tulsi joined Hawaii’s Army National Guard and volunteered to deploy in 2004. She was the first person to volunteer to fight in a war zone, forcing her to step down from her position of power to do so. In result, Tulsi participated in two tours in the Middle East. Overall, Tulsi wants to fight for veterans and makes herself relatable to anyone else who has put their life on the line for their country.

Tulsi also wants to fight against Trump in the next election. In 2016, she endorsed Vermont senator, Bernie Sanders, for president. They both have strong views when it comes to combating climate change.

As if Tulsi hasn’t done enough “firsts,” she is also the first American Samoan and Hindu person ever elected into Congress. She is the youngest candidate at the moment, being only 37. She proves herself to be progressive, comparable to Senator Sanders, as they have similarities in policy belief.

Amy Klobuchar

Amy Klobuchar started off as a lawyer and legal advisor for former Vice President, Walter Mondale. Mondale encouraged Klobuchar to get into politics. She took his advice after having her first child and made herself known in the political environment. Klobuchar took office as Minnesota’s first woman senator in 2007. She typically leans left but has proved that she is also open to discussion and creating bipartisan legislation.

She is known to have revised the Senate’s ethics rules and advocated for additional funding in programs, like technology and science in high schools and universities.

She is described to be personable and very popular in her home state. She was re-elected in 2018 and announced her run for presidency in 2020 that has picked up quite quick, earning herself a fair chance in the next election.

No matter what party, we love seeing more women run for office. Women need to be lifted up in today’s society and what better way to show how far we have come, than to see these successful women running for the next presidential election? These women worked hard to get to this point and prove time and time again to be badass women, good luck on the campaign trail!

Alexis Giunta

Montclair '22

Hey ladies! My name is Alexis Giunta and I will soon be starting as a freshman at Montclair State University in Montclair, New Jersey. I was originally born in New Jersey but for most of my life I lived in upstate New York. I’ve been writing since kindergarten and I quickly realized what I wanted, to write and travel. I plan to study journalism at Montclair so that I can express myself through writing, travel the world, meet new people and ultimately educate the public through media and gain the public’s trust back since media is in my opinion, dishonest to its people. To wrap this all up, i am very eager to start contributing to HerCampus as I am a proud woman and a proud writer! Stick around lovelies! ?
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.