etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should Personalize Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s so easy to go on Pinterest and search rooms that have a cute or cool aesthetic and replicate that. It’s easy to go on websites that have pre-packaged room sets that you can order off of and cut out the drama of looking for a comforter set at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. 

The keyword in both of those cases was “easy” and though that is an appealing way to look at decorating your room, it can also be incredibly impersonal. I understand interior design isn’t your dream job and you could care less about the curtains matching the rug. I also understand that you and every girl on your floor don’t want to have the same exact room set from dormify. This is coming from someone who never understood why girls got ten thousand pillows to make their bed look “pretty,” when all they were going to end up on the floor. So, instead of looking at it as decorating, replace it with personalizing.

I took up this project for myself because it not only keeps me busy but gives me a chance to make my single room a true home. As corny as that sounds, it makes a difference and helps me identify with my home away from home. Put it this way: your surroundings are a reflection of you, so why wouldn’t you want to express that? Clothing and style are just one way that I speak out loud and I think it’s time that I use my space to speak up too. 

But, please don’t think that my room is perfectly set up with every little thing being put in its rightful place. Currently, my room is drowning with a mountain of clothes that need to be put away and a luggage case that needs to be emptied out. Just like anything else, this is a process and little by little I am adding Yaz’s touches. Now, don’t get me wrong, money is a great factor this too because as much as I do want to get a giant shag rug to cover my cold room, I also need to make sure I have gas in my car. It’s about doing what you can when you have time and being happy with what you’re choosing.

One of my biggest things is organization, so my focus is on getting cute, dainty items for compartmentalization that accent the things that are already in my room. I want a shag rug big enough to cover my entire floor while emphasizing the colors that are detailed in my pillows. Color is also a key factor because all colors symbolize a mood or meaning and your space should consist of a color or colors that never grow dull, and also further its warmth and welcoming nature. 

Next, I want to get more signs/frames/posters that adorn the walls with affirmative phrases as well as the humor that lightens things up. I just know that music/movie posters always catch my eye so I have a habit of picking up my favorite ones regardless of my theme. Nevertheless, this is a part of personalization.

See what you like and see what you don’t like. Buy one pillow and then return it for one twice its size. Just remember that your room/dorm is your space and it deserves to be a place that doesn’t have to be defined by four concrete walls, a desk, a dresser, and a closet. Build it up to your standards and if you don’t like it, reset it again. Find pieces that you absolutely can’t live without. Be creative. No one knows how to make this more personally special than you. 

Yazmenne Archer

Montclair '21

Yaz is a senior majoring in Communication and Media Arts with a minor in Creative Writing. She has a strong passion for storytelling and inviting readers with a conversational style. She believes that everyone’s story should be heard and continues to write pieces that promote self discovery and wellbeing. Though she specializes in writing pieces, she also dabbles in genres of poetry and fiction.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.