Picture of me in London.
Picture of me in London.
Original photo by Sonia Anand

Why You Should Invest Your Money on Experiences vs. Materialistic Possessions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Right now, we’re at the height of online shopping and technology is taking over brick-mortar stores. Fast fashion is rising, and traditional department stores are dying. But are we forgetting the fact that experiences and memories offer a bigger ROI (Return on Investment) than materialistic possessions?

Previously, I used to be a big shopper. During my early teen years, makeup was a significant hobby of mine—especially MAC Cosmetics’ globally trending collections. Additionally, I also had a huge wardrobe where half of the items I’ve owned, were never worn. However, as I’m growing older into an adult, I’ve become wiser on how I spend my money and what will give me the most satisfaction possible.

Since 2018, I’ve cut back from shopping and instead, started to save as much money as possible to afford traveling internationally. After over a year of working part-time and saving, I had enough money to afford a Chanel Classic Flap. However, I chose to travel to four different countries over the summer instead, and it has been one of the best decisions that I’ve made. I had the opportunity to visit and experience different parts of the world while meeting people from parts of the U.S. and Europe. 

I believe that with everything you do, there will always be sacrifices. By choosing to travel internationally, you will increase independency, become wiser, and gain knowledge. Additionally, it’s a great resume booster! Knowing how to adapt to different environments, interacting with people of all cultures and religions, and experiencing things differently are strong skills needed for global companies. 

Possessions cannot replace forever-long memories. They may make you stand out externally, but they will not change who you are internally. As one of my favorite motivational speakers Jay Shetty says, “Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.” At the end of the day, money comes and goes but time never pauses. I highly recommend that you travel while you’re young with any opportunity that comes your way.

Photo by Sonia Anand

Sonia Anand

Montclair '21

Sonia Anand is a Senior at Montclair State University, studying Business Administration with a concentration in Management. Some of her passions include traveling the world, content creating, and luxury fashion. She is a dual national between the U.S. and UK and plans to hold an international career while experiencing living in different countries. With her extroverted and outgoing nature, she loves to take risks and push boundaries out of her comfort zone.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.