Why I’m Happy with Being Single this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you’ve read any blogs or articles recently, you will find two topics. First, “How to Have the Best Valentine’s Day with Your S.O.” and second, “How to Treat Yourself on Your Single Valentine’s Day.”

What I find hilarious about the second option, is why single individuals feel the need to treat themselves to anything on Valentine’s Day. Why splurge on jewelry, or spend a day at the spa? Why is Valentine’s Day different from any other day of the month? I see from my fellow single ladies, in particular, a heavy cloud of negativity surrounding their single lives. It seems like if you’re not in a committed relationship around February, you won’t be on track for your happily-ever-after (ha!).

In fact, single individuals on Valentine’s Day may be feeling like this:

Or this…

I can empathize with friends who feel depressed. But did you know that a majority of college age students are single?

Yes, single. Our age group typically holds “single” status.  

This chart shows us how the number of single individuals over the last 50 years has increased. Look at the jump in numbers for 18-24 year olds!

This increase in “single status” may be in part because people now get married later in life. As of 2010, women and men were getting married at ages 27 and 29. While in 1960, women were married by age 20 and men by age 23.

While being single on Valentine’s Day seems like an isolating experience, this data shows that it isn’t abnormal. There are plenty of single individuals in the world, probably feeling the same way as you do. Thus, single individuals shouldn’t need to “treat themselves” to anything on Valentine’s Day, in order to feel happy.  

As a single lady myself, I believe this breaks down to self-love.

Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be an excuse for single individuals to treat themselves any differently. You want to go to the spa or buy yourself something nice? Do it! Why use being single as an excuse? You can treat yourself with kindness any day of the week.

I’m comfortable with being single on Valentine’s Day because my self-worth is not reliant on my relationship status. Meaning, I don’t need someone else to buy me flowers or take me somewhere, to feel validated or worthy.

Personally, I’ve learned the most about myself while being single. I know what I value in a partner/relationship, and not to settle for someone just to be “in a relationship.” In fact, I’ve enjoyed the independence of being single. I like the spontaneity of dating, the reflective moments of being single, and the wide open future available to me as a soon-to-be-graduate with no commitments.

For those of you who are celebrating Valentine’s Day with your significant other, I wish you a lovely hearts and roses day. But for those of you who are single, get out from under your covers. Valentine’s Day is an opportunity for you to present your best self. Who knows, you might find that special someone while you’re out being fierce!

Source: 1 2 3 4 5

Senior English major obsessed with the culinary industry. I come from a large Italian-Polish family, and spend my time thinking about food. I collect books, enjoy learning American Sign Language, and binge-watching The Walking Dead.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.