Style

Why I Still Get Dressed When I’m Not Leaving My House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In all honesty, I had a pretty hard time adjusting to the “new normal” lifestyle once the pandemic started. Although I enjoy spending time at home, I loved college life. I loved how living in the dorms gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I loved living on the same campus as my friends, so we could easily hang out whenever we felt like it without having to worry about transportation. I loved how the Rec Center was just a two-minute walk from my dorm, I loved having plans almost every weekend and I loved attending meetings and events for my orgs and clubs such as Her Campus. Then the pandemic came.

No longer being able to experience this life that I enjoyed so much got me in a rut. I was still able to do well in all my classes, but I was not very happy. Before the pandemic, I enjoyed getting dressed up and carefully planning out my outfits for my classes, meetings and nights out. But then once I moved back home and stayed inside every day, I would spend days at a time in my pajamas or old T-shirts and leggings while all my favorite tops, jeans and accessories just sat in my closet. Obviously, this didn’t help me feel any more motivated.

Then one day, I couldn’t take how much I missed putting together fashionable outfits, so I decided to plan out my outfit, do my makeup and add some accessories for my online class even though I wouldn’t be leaving my house that day. I’m so glad I decided to do this.

That day, although I didn’t take a single step outside my house, I felt different. I felt more confident, more productive and just a little happier all around. After that day, I continued getting dressed as if I were still living on campus before the pandemic, and I noticed that my overall mood improved a little bit. 

To this day, I still get dressed when I’m not leaving my house because I really do think that it helps me feel better about myself and increases my motivation. I always loved planning my outfits and that’s one thing that I won’t let the pandemic ruin for me. 

Although we’re no longer in lockdown and some things have reopened, I still don’t leave home too much and I know a lot of other people haven’t been leaving home too much either (or at least not as much as they did before the pandemic). Lots of people I know have told me that they’ve spent the majority of their days in sweats or pajamas, and that is completely okay, but I highly recommend that everyone try getting dressed one day when they aren’t leaving their homes. 

I’m not saying that you should break out your most elaborate outfit or spend hours on your makeup, but I think you’ll be surprised by how something as simple as getting dressed in real clothes can increase your motivation and even your productivity. I know not everyone is as passionate about fashion as I am and I’m certainly not saying that getting dressed will make everything better during these strange times, or that you should do this every day. I admit that there have been a few mornings when I still feel too tired or lazy to put any effort into my outfits, and everyone deserves a pajama day here and there. But I challenge you to choose one day to get dressed this week when you won’t be leaving home. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how you feel or at least a tiny bit more motivated. 

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.