legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM

Wholesome Films for the Childhood Romantic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As February approaches, couples are searching for the ideal way to spend their Valentine’s Day. They are often caught between watching a romantic classic like The Notebook, going out on overpriced dinner dates, or getting ready for more intimate times.

However, some of us  are still just babies in  college. Many of us haven’t found our  match yet or just think that all the serious lovey-dovey stuff still isn’t quite our speed. So we have two options: either spend the holiday sobbing over our lack of a Ryan Gosling or channel  your childhood days, where every form of love mattered. Here are five films for a wholesome Valentine’s Day!

1. WALL-E (2008)

WALL-E is a showcase of Pixar in its prime, with its alarmingly relevant critique of environmental neglect and consumerist American society.

At the  core of the movie is Wall-E and Eve’s romance. One little robot falls in love, saving the ENTIRE PLANET in the process. Imagine if they were just human adults. Not quite the same effect, right?

Thankfully, there’s more love to go around! Love between robots, love between friends, love for humans, for cockroaches and most importantly –  love for the Earth.

1. Up (2009)

I wouldn’t be surprised if the first ten minutes of Up led to better marriages afterwards. Like WALL-E, this movie’s core is also a love story. 

I believe a key moment in the movie was when Carl was reading through Ellie’s scrapbook. He realized how in love you must also learn to let go, embracing his new life with Russell and Dug.

1. Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Lady and the Tramp being included on a list for the best Valentine’s Day movies is a given. A candlelit spaghetti dinner under the stars with live music? Has a first date ever gone that well?! Not only is Lady and the Tramp a charming adventure movie, but the songs are nostalgic for any true Disney fan! From the romantic “Bella Notte” to the jazzy and sensual “He’s A Tramp”.

1. Strictly Ballroom (1992)

Strictly Ballroom is just a fun movie that immerses you in it from start to finish. Masterfully directed by Baz Luhrmann, it contains some of the most memorable dance sequences in any movie ever. 

Not to mention the electric chemistry between the leads . Also, Paul Mecurio was such a babe! The ending sequence will make your heart flutter as everyone runs out onto the dance floor and Scott and Fran share their first kiss!

1. The Parent Trap (1998)

Lindsay Lohan’s version will always have my heart. Her performance as a pair of twins trying to set their parents up together again is funny and touching. The slow burn romance between Dennis Quaid and Natasha Richardson has a kind of magic to it. And who could forget Meredith Blake?

Whether you’re a fan of the 1998 version or the 1961 film, The Parent Trap is a truly timeless movie that can be watched and enjoyed by all age groups!

I think something we often forget about romance is how pure it can be, and many films nowadays fail to capture that same level of purity. Because love isn’t materialistic or selfish or even lustful. It’s as simple as watching the stars, reading scrapbooks, having dinner, kissing on the dance floor and working together. 
Without meaning to, these five movies taught me more about love than The Notebook ever did. Sorry Ryan!

Roselita Cabelin

Montclair '26

Roselita Cabelin is a Theatre and English Major whose love for storytelling helped her join the writing team at Her Campus!