This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Every decade it seems we have different ‘icons’ who define what’s popular in fashion, music, etc. Some are nepotism babies, and some become household names overnight. So who are this era’s “it” girls? Who will be remembered years from now as this decade’s icons? Here are 10 women I think fit this generation’s list:

1. Olivia Rodrigo

This one’s an easy one; Rodrigo became a sensation in 2021 opening the year with her hit “Driver’s License” and closing it off with a number one album and the title of TIME’s “Entertainer of the Year.” She’s reignited a passion for music and songwriting in millions of young women and girls around the world. 

1. Emma Chamberlain

Emma Chamberlain first started gaining popularity as a YouTuber nearly half a decade ago, and is still extremely popular and influential today. Personally, even though I’m not a huge fan, I still see Emma all over my TikTok and Instagram explore page. She is without a doubt the epitome of an “influencer.”

1. Megan Markle

Meghan has been a pioneer when it comes to the traditionally conservative royal family. As a feminist and an activist, Markle redefined what it means to be a part of the British royal family. Her outspoken nature is sure to be remembered for centuries.

1. Rachel Zegler

Rachel Zegler is a newer household name; the New Jersey native started gaining popularity throughout the past decade with her Youtube videos, and had her breakthrough when she starred in Stephen Speildberg’s “West Side Story”. Zegler is now set to star as Snow White in Disney’s live-action remake – she has one of the best voices of our generation. 

1. Florence Pugh

Between “Little Women”, “Don’t Worry Darling”, “Dune”, “Black Widow” and “Midsommar”, Miss Flo is truly one of the most successful and iconic actresses of our generation. She’s sure to be making headlines for decades to come. 

1. Greta Thunberg

Greta Thunberg is sure to make an appearance in the history books. The 19-year-old is one of the most famous climate activists of this generation, and has made some serious and significant changes for the better.

1. Lizzo

Lizzo is an icon, not just for her raw and natural music talent, but for her bold personality that has resonated with millions of women across the globe. She’s the perfect example of how extraordinary women in the music industry are. She is a performer

1. Kim Kardashian

I’m admittedly not the biggest Kim Kardashian fan, but I’d be a fool to not acknowledge the impact that Kim has had on popular culture today. She is a consistent figure in the public eye; whether it’s from “Keeping Up With The Kardashians,” launching her own skincare line or being part of the newest iconic celebrity couple, Kardashian is always in the headlines. 

1. Zendaya

Our generation grew up with Zendaya and has continued to see her thrive in the television and film industries. From “Spider Man” to “Euphoria”, this Emmy winning actress is one of the most prominent figures in the entertainment industry.

1. Taylor Swift

It wouldn’t be an article by me if I didn’t slip Miss Swift in somewhere. Taylor is a global sensation. It takes a special type of artist to be able to top the charts the way she consistently does. Between the success in her career and her deeply personal relationship with her fans, Swift is sure to be remembered as an icon.

1. Beyonce

The name “Queen B” says it all. Beyonce is an undeniable icon – she’s been a consistent force in music since in the ‘90s, and we all know she’ll be making headlines for decades to come. Someday, people will wish that they were alive to see Queen B live in concert.

Trust me, there are definitely more women that could go on this list. Women in popular culture do the absolute most – from being icons in fashion to icons in music and entertainment. Right now, these women are the moment. 

Emma Barber

Montclair '23

Emma is a senior at Montclair State University, studying Social Media & Public Relations and Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies.