Nature Flowers Spring Pink
Nature Flowers Spring Pink
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

What’s Going on in Montclair this Spring?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s officially spring here in Montclair, New Jersey and there are so many things lined up for this season! Whether it be going to look at cherry blossoms or attending a show on the Montclair State University campus, here’s a list of what’s going on around Montclair this spring:

1. Essex County Cherry Blossom Festival

The annual festival is making its 47th appearance this April in Branch Brook Park, Newark. The festival runs from April 1- 16, but that doesn’t mean you can’t drive around and look at the cherry blossoms for as long as they’re in season. These events range from physical activities like bike races and fun runs to their annual Bloomfest that closes out the festival:

• April 1, 2023: Cherry Blossom Challenge Bike Race
  • April 2, 2023: Cherry Blossom 10K Run
  • April 15, 2023: One-Mile Fun Run
  • April 15, 2023: Essex County Family Day
  • April 16, 2023: Bloomfest

The best part about this is that most of these events are free of charge, with the exclusion of registrants signing up for the bike race or either of the runs.

1. Spring Week

Spring Week is one of the largest campus events at Montclair State during the spring semester, and usually takes place the week before final exams! Throughout the week, there are numerous different on-campus events and finishes the week off with the end-of-the-school-year concert, Montclairfest. Students have the opportunity to win free exclusive t-shirts and free food day and night. It’s a great way for students to keep themselves entertained during the end of the semester without spending money!

1. Shows at the Wellmont Theater

The Wellmont Theater is located in Downtown Montclair and has a plethora of artists and shows performing this spring! Tickets typically range from $70-$200, with general admission usually being pretty cheap for concert tickets. If you’re a Montclair State student, it’s an added bonus how close you are to campus! Some upcoming shows include:

• May 18. 2023: Bryson Tiller
  • June 4, 2023: Declan McKenna
  1. Walnut Street Fair

The 2023 Walnut Street Fair is taking place on Sunday, May 7, 2023, on Walnut Street in Montclair! The fair is free of charge to attend, but there are other vendors there that you might want to bring your wallet for. The fair consists of live music and performances, local Walnut Street businesses, 150+ vendors, food trucks, a beer garden, raffles and so much more. 

1. Spring Fling 2023

“Out Montclair” is hosting its Spring Fling fundraiser on April 13, 2023! This event helps raise funds for Montclair Pride by hosting a huge dance party! The event is reserved for ages 21+ as they offer specialty cocktails, beer and wine at the event. If you’re over 21 and free on April 13, you should definitely check out this event!

There are a bunch of events happening in Montclair this spring, but if none of these events seem like something you’d attend, NYC is always a great option for a spring day trip! There are also a bunch of events happening at Montclair State University this semester so keep an eye out on your Engage app!

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.