A photo of different style nails
A photo of different style nails
Original photo by Tatiana Ricks
Style > Beauty

What Your Nail Shape Says About You! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Some may say nails aren’t essential, but going to the nail salon is actually super relaxing. All your stress can disappear with a coat of polish and the perfect shape, but how do you know what shape is best, and what does your shape preference say about you? 

When choosing a nail shape there are many silhouettes, but you need to know the six key shapes. Almond, square, round, oval, stiletto and coffin are the six key shapes that are essential when getting your nails done. 

To understand which shape is best for you, you need to know your finger shape, and nail size. This can point you in the right direction of what shape is best for you, and then lead you to what this shape says about you. 

Almond-shaped nails are slim on the sides with a narrow shape towards the end, and round on the tip. This shape doesn’t really work with a short length but goes lovely when having a medium length nail. This shape is made for anyone who is unique. You have a valuable mind with a logical way of thinking, and you grasp a talent that no one else can relate to. The celebrity that rocks this shape is Beyonce. 

Square-shaped nails have a straight edge and a square shape tip. This shape is perfect for any length nail. I personally love them long, but with this shape, you have a free-range to go with whatever length you choose. This shape will never go out of style. It shows that you can be conservative and strong while also dealing with whatever life may hit you with! The celebrity that rocks this shape is Kylie Jenner.  

Round-shaped nails are just that, round. Round around the edges and tip. If you have small hands this shape is perfect for giving the illusion of having long fingers and still keeping your nails short. This shape is perfect for someone who’s more comfortable with a quiet environment and more practical taste. If you’re looking for a quick trip to the nail salon, and a usual routine color for your nails, this shape is for you! The celebrity that rocks this shape is Stephanie Pratt.  

Oval-shaped nails are a medium to long shape that ends in a semicircle. This shape although quite similar to the almond-shaped nail, oval-shaped is more blunt and delicate. This is more of a retired shape. It dates back to something your grandmother would wear. If you are into anything vintage, elegant and classy this is the shape for you. The celebrity that rocks this shape is  Jennifer Lopez.

Stiletto-shaped nails are the newest and latest addition to the nail shape family. This shape has been on trend for a while. Literally curved on the edge with an extremely sharp point, some would say the point is similar to Louis Vuitton red bottom heels. This shape is for someone who’s creative and extremely bold. Also, I wouldn’t recommend this shape for someone who works with their hands. The length that is more compatible with this shape is long. I recommend a long length because this shape is for you to show off and add as many 3D designs and prints as you can. So if you love to be flashy and bold these are the nails for you! The celebrity that rocks this shape is Lady Gaga.

Coffin-shaped nails are exactly that, a coffin shape. With a narrow nail bed in the shape of a coffin, this nail is the best choice for long length nails. With a long length, you can truly see the shape of the coffin. This shape has been mainly used for a younger generation which adds so much flair to your style. This shape is for a person who is always in trend. This shape is for your average trendsetter and/or the “IT” girl, someone who will never go out of style. The celebrity that rocks this shape is our favorite trendsetter, Kylie Jenner.

In the end collegiate, I always recommend finding a nail tech who will tell you like it is. You want a trustworthy and honest nail technician who will let you know that instead of a fourth refill it’s time to get a full set. Don’t be ashamed to ask about the cleanliness of utensils, how often they clean their utensils is important when getting your nails done. Finally, it’s okay to create a bond with your nail tech, when you do, your experience gets even better when going in for a stress-relieving day.

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.