This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

One of the best things about fall is the fashion! We all love wearing cute boots, sweaters, and scarves because they make us feel cozy and cute. The great thing about fall fashion is that there are a lot of transitional pieces that can be worn due to the mild weather. I’m going to share a list of different pieces you’ll need to create a classic fall wardrobe that can be worn for years down the line.

Black Boots

Goodbye sandals, hello boots! Of course, boots are such a fall staple but black boots specifically are the best option for a classic look. They’re timeless and versatile giving you the option to dress up or down. You can never go wrong with a black boot!

Brown Trench Coat

Trench coats are the first thing that comes to mind when I think of fall fashion. It’s the best coat to wear during this season because it’s neither too hot nor too cold. A simple brown trench coat is great because it can be worn casual with jeans and sneakers, or dressed up with a dress and boots. A good trench coat will never go out of style and is another timeless piece to carry in your wardrobe forever. 

White Blouse

Nothing is more classic than a white blouse. This season, white button-down shirts are in and many people have been wearing them with sweater vests. It’s perfect because it’s simple and easy to style. I usually pair my button-down with jeans, loafers, or mules for a preppy look or with a sneaker-like Vans. A good, crisp, white button-down will always make you look put together and sophisticated. 

Turtlenecks

There’s something so classy and sophisticated about a black turtleneck.  A simple, fitted, black turtleneck is one of my favorite tops to wear for fall! It can be layered under a jacket paired with trousers and boots for a chic fall look, or with jeans and a flannel for a 90’s look. Either way, turtlenecks will never go out of style!

Neutral Knits

My all-time favorite garments to wear: KNITS! I think I might have way too many knits in my closet (and all the same color, too) but you can never go wrong with a good knit. Of course, they’re an obvious choice this time of year but a neutral knit (tan, brown, beige, cream, off-white) will go with everything and anything! My go-to is always a beige or cream-colored sweater paired with a cognac bag! The contrast is SO good.

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.