This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As we know, the coronavirus pandemic has changed the way we live forever. So many lives were negatively impacted and we all had to quickly adapt to the “new normal”. Businesses are tanking with so many huge retailers such as Lord and Taylor, New York and Company, Macy’s and many more all closing their doors for good. In the midst of the pandemic, many have resorted to online shopping and that’s probably what has saved retailers during this time. Now with this new “normal” that we must adapt to, and as technology advances, online shopping will be the future for fashion. Not only has retail stores been impacted but the fashion industry as a whole has been negatively affected by COVID-19. 

Billions of dollars worth of clothing have gone to waste due to spring/summer 2020 collections being canceled. Now, many fashion experts are trying to find new, cost-effective and sustainable ways to move forward in the fashion industry to ensure that no merchandise is wasted in the future. Overproduction has killed the fashion industry. According to Kirby Best, CEO of OnPoint manufacturing, on-demand manufacturing will be the new way of fashion as merchandise will only be produced and shipped when orders have been placed. On-demand manufacturing is meant to avoid excess inventory and warehousing. 

As for fashion shows, many designers are stumped and some may not participate in Fashion Week. Some designers may transition to virtual runways and switch to a mostly online presence, however, for designers like Marc Jacobs, putting out new collections will be on hold for the time being. Marc Jacobs stated that he needs his team which requires lots of on handwork and traveling for new collections. According to Harper’s Bazaar, other labels such as Givenchy, Chanel, Michael Kors and YSL, to name a few, will be continuing with Paris Fashion Week but with changes to their production schedule. Michael Kors was anticipating to show his Spring 2021 collection this past September, but will now show between this month and November. 

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.